please help a newbie

Discussion in 'General' started by jbl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jbl

jbl

Hello,

I decided to give IP PBX a try and chosen elastix.
    So .. new pc, fresh install, sangoma B600D on the way so let's se what we can do with it.
    e-mail setup voice mail, IVR, it's just great.FOr the testing I used soft phone to see that it's working but all the testing was done from the local LAN.
    I needed to be able to access this features from my mobile phone so I installed portgo for windows mobile.
    I used the unembeded freepbx to set my server as behind NAT with a fixed external IP address and set the local subnet.The I forwarded from the router udp 5060 and 10000-20000,
    in the end i enabled also dmz host jut to be sure.
    when i am in the lan I can register with the mobile phone to the pbx but from outside ... I always get registration failed.
    To authenticate Internally i use the ip of the server the extension number and the secret.That's it.
    I tried the same from the outside but using an dyndns FQDN since I do not have may own domain.same issue.
    I created a new user "user" and a password , in the extension group and assigned this user the needed extension (207).
    logging with user and password instead of extension and secret does not work.
    I think the problem is not the server but me not knowing what I need to write in those fields or maybe add something extra to the server configuration.
    not even x-lite works from outside.
    Can someone please help me with this issue?

Thank you a lot!

2. vperez69

jbl,

I have a somewhat similiar setup - I have a primary and a secondary PBX, each with a DYNDNS name attached to it. I got 25 local phones and 6 remote phones. The configuration between the internal and external phones is exactly the same, both use the DYNDNS names to locate the PBX's, and registration is always done on port 5060 for both.

If you are unable to register from the outside, I think clearly the culprit is your firewall, not routing the registration request to your PBX. I might suggest, as a test, to take the firewall out of the equation. If they can register, you've got your answer, and you can put your firewall back into place and tinker with your ports.

3. dicko

Most cell phone carriers, at least here in the states, will deny your udp/5060 connections on their network (guess why). Actually they use SPI, so whichever port you use they will still see it as SIP, you will have to be cleverer than they are encryption/decryption is the possibly the key but bear in mind that they will not give up their cash cow easily and recognizable connections will so be be recognized and quickly squished. basically, sooner or later, you will eventually always be denied third party SIP over their network ;)

4. vperez69

Really??? That bites. I have a Nokia N71 with Fringe, which lets me use any Wifi (or WAP if none is available) to connect to my PBX. You mean to tell me that wouldn't work in the states?

5. dicko

Generally not, on wifi, yes, on their network no, they funnily enough don't like losing income.

6. vperez69

wow! I hope Cable & Wireless doesn't catch wind of that ideology here...

7. dicko

There is a different pricing structure here, there is no premium shared with an incoming call C&W are basically English and the shared revenue from calling a cell phone is not apparent to the carrier , in other markets (Non NANP generally) the incoming call is shared by the recipient and the caller, we have to be protective as to what the underlying carrier ultimately charges us for that connection, i.e. a call to any USA number cell or local is the same price, a call to a european cell phone number will rack up to 70 cents a minute, depending on the final carrier.

8. vperez69

Wow, here it is very simple: Caller pays for the call, recipient pays nothing, even if the call is going to a different carrier, such as Movistar (Telefonica) or Claro.

9. dicko

Pretty well. The US carriers like that income, you guys are used to huge monthlies, It's just a cultural difference. and that's why you guys killed speaking because sms was so much cheaper :) sry I wnt ovr 140 chrs.

10. dicko

Probably not, any call will cost someone something, including "toll-free" the rules are out there since the year dot. Whatever your PTT defines is what you are traditionally used to paying, generally "way too much" , the newer VOIP provisioners are a little lighter on their feet, you can get bundled service or pay per minute, if you are small time the bundled usefully works out cheaper, if you want to go to "The exchange" then all is cheaper, but you need to have the call volume to match, and you will have to persuade the carrier you KWTF you are doing ;)

11. jbl

jbl

Thank you for your help!

First I tested the mobile carrier and indeed it blocks sip traffic.after connectic from another source i could register but the voice was not workin even if the port forwardig was ok.
    It ended up as there was a NAT problem and my zyxel was corrupting the packets on their way out.took me time to figure this out :p

After a firmware upgrade it's working!!!!!!!!!!

Nex day my sangoma arrived and guess waht? it's not working.
    I made elastix see it somehow by mistake but could not route calls over PSTN so i did a fresh reinstall and i was not able since then to make elastix see my card :(.
    I followed the exact stept from sangoma wiki and no luck.
    I will post some details after I do a further search on the forum to make sure i'm not skiping something :p

12. vperez69

The Sangoma is not connecting to the Extension, locally? There is really no science to it - as long as your 5060 is open, your Auth must match the extension, and the password must match the secret. I might also suggest entering the language "EN" on the extension. It hasn't happenned to me, but I've read various postings where a phone wouldn't connect if the language wasn't specifically defined.

13. jbl

jbl

Not a phone but an analog card to connect my pstn lines to the pbx it's a sangoma b600d 4fxo 1 fxs and echo can module.
    Unfortunatelly I got tooo late home today so i did not manage to retest it.
    I will try tomorrow to intall it again.

Baisicly after following:

http://wiki.sangoma.com/sangoma-wanpipe-b600

I get:

FATAL: Error inserting wanpipe (/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5/kernel/drivers/net/wan/wanpipe.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    Would you like to generate /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf

when starting wancfg_zaptel and if I continue i get:

ERROR: Wanpipe configuration file not found:
    /etc/wanpipe/wanpipe1.conf

14. GSnover

Had a similar error tonight with updating a box and trying to recpmpile wanpipe:

FATAL: Error inserting wanpipe (/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5/kernel/drivers/net/wan/wanpipe.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

I think someone has mis-compiled the kernel - I dropped back to 2.6.18-164 and it compiled and loaded fine - I know your post is 8 months old, but since the current kernel from the repo is broken also, maybe this will help someone else.

Greg