Please advise

Discussion in 'General' started by turalo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. turalo

Hi to all :)

I have few questions, I'm not newbie in asterisk but this I have to ask,

I'm using PIAF now, with 50 extensions,
    on a AMD proccesor server with 2 gb of ram. this is an HP 5-6 years old.
    latest weeks I'm getting complains that sometimes voice just drops, than there is just silence,
    and in some cases after a little while voice comes back agan, but in other cases not.
    So I have checked logs, but could not find nothing sofar. I have informed here and there,
    and people say it's problem of AMD, they say I need to take Intel xeon or some like that with more ram. Other say, maximum is 4 gb ram, otherwise is overkill asterisk cannot use more than 4 mb.
    So Now I'm totaly confused, which hardware should I take to solve this, cause I'm plannig to connect at least 300 extensions on this server, and it must be able to do at least 50-80 concurent calls. Elastix I'm using as test now, sofar so good, I see that it also has 64 bit version.
    My server is in Colocation, with 30mb up down dedicated fiber.
    I'm not using any cards, this is pure voip, in out voip.

So now my questions are.

1. Does AMD have this kind of quality problems with asterisk?
    2. Do I need more than 4gb ram to be able to have 500 extensions on Elastix or PIAF and be able to make at least 50-80 concurent calls at a time ?
    3. does a second network card play important role ? do I have to connect it to internet too to have better connection ?
    4. If I need an asterisk server which handles 500 extension do I need to take 64 bit version to be able to put more ram in it ? do I need more ram at all ?
    5. Anybody has 400-500 extensions, with daily 50-80 concurent calls ?
    6. I also heard that if I want that kind of system which handles so much, I need to make some kind of proxy/openser system with asterisk in conbination, than I can achive this?? any experiance with it ?

Please any info is welcome.

thanks.

2. Patrick_elx

are you transcoding a lot ?
    What codec are used in your different legs?

If you are not doing transcoding your computer should be fine.
    As soon as you add some processor intensive add on (transcoding including for voice message), you add a load on your system.

You can have a look here to see what performance you can expect:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning

3. turalo

Well I'm transcoding, maybe not alot, but I have I gues 3 codecs enabled,
    and because I"m using many different providers there might be much transcoding.
    I have seen the article you linked, thanks for that it's a nice information,
    there are people who achived 500 calls with quad xeon 20gb ram, that model I'm going to get in few days, so if I strip my system so much possible, than I could rich a max of 300-400 hondred I gues ?

hopefully it will work. Now I'm still stuck with question about what's better 64bit version or 32bit? I have always used the 32bit version, but now I will get a reall nice strong quad xeon server, so is that a good thing to install 64 bit version of elastix ? i'm going to move to elastix I think, cause menu structure of elastix is better, and the community is more active, PIAF website didnot renew in ages... so please advise about which versions is best.

thanks.

4. Patrick_elx

I'm not sure about which version is the best. If you want to use more than 4GB RAM, only a 64b system will recognize it, for less than that I don't know if it is worth it.