Phone echo

talbers@vistaprod.com

First I must say that I am very new to the Elastix world. We are having trouble with an intermittant beep and a very loud echo on our phones. To this point we are the only ones who can hear the echo, thank goodness, but it is very annoying. The echo doesn't happen all the time and it never happens if we call interior extensions. Currently we have a Cisco SPA8800 converting 4 land lines to the network and the server contains no cards. We are using AAstra 55i phones and a Netgear Prosafe POE switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

thx2000

These cheaper SPA devices are notorious for echo. If your lucky, your telco will provide you with lines that have minimal echo and then these devices will do an OK job. In my experience the most cost effective way to deal with echo is to get an internal adapter and run either software or hardware echo cancellation. Software echo cancellation (OSLEC) has always worked well enough for me, however I would consider hardware echo cancellation when working on a larger install.

talbers@vistaprod.com

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that this hardware could be the issue since the only time the echo occurs is external phone calls. What type of hardware would you recommend for the computer? I inherited this system and I am learning on the go so I have no idea what is good and what isn't. I am surprised that this switch is considered 'cheap' at $400, what do the internal cards cost?

Again thanks for the help.

thx2000

I've always purchased Digium adapters because I felt like I was better supporting the project, however I've heard good things about other manufacturers. Not sure if other manufacturers do the same, but it was always nice to have Digium ssh in when I got stuck. A TDM844B would get you the same 4FXO/4FXS configuration for around $6-700. If you don't need that many channels you can mix and match the modules to give you the configuration you're looking for, i.e. 8FXO, 4FXO/NO FXS, etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti