Phantom Calls

Discussion in 'General' started by russellholloway, Jan 25, 2011.

1. russellholloway

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of the elastix distro, and I'm having a weird problem with "phantom calls" (I've actually been having it for the past couple of years with previous elastix versions as well).

Every one in a while, one of our extensions will begin ringing, but there is nobody there (phantom call). The phone display says "Answering" instead of listing the normal inbound call information.

These calls cannot be picked up from any other phone (unlike our normal calls which work correctly with both types of call pickup). Also, the blf feature on the other phones does not indicate that the phone is ringing (on normal calls the blf works correctly).

We are using a PRI, a Wildcard TE122 PRI card, and Linksys SPA942 and SPA962 phones. The SPA962's all have at least 1 SPA932 sidecar.

We do not use IVR or voicemail anywhere on the system.

The extensions are programmed with follow-me, and calls are sent to other ring groups if nobody answers after 3 rings.

I'm not sure what to monitor to see what's going on, and we have never been able to duplicate this issue intentionally.

Thanks for any help!

2. dzervas

Hi Russel,

I am posting a list of things that I would do if I were you, to check what is happening.
    Maybe some of these you've done already or you cannot do due to the environment or customer, please choose what you think appropriate.

Overall, with the description that you provide, my mind first goes to the phones themselves. I think it is unlikely that all Elastix versions have the same exact problem for years.
    But here's what I would do:

1) Go to Reports - CDR Report.
    Put a start and end date of a couple of days, at the days where the phantom calls appeared.
    Set Field:destination and Status: ALL and press filter.
    You will get a list of calls.
    In these calls, try to find the exact times where you know that phantom calls appeared.
    If you manage to find some entries, then the question is what is their source in the source column? Is it some other extension or is it a caller ID of an outside line?
    Or are the phantom calls not logged at all?

If you get some kind of source, you can further investigate that extension or line.
    If not, then I would suspect the phone software.
    2) Another test is to put a phone from a different brand and see if it has the same behaviour.
    3) If possible, update the software of the phones that have the issue.

Hope this helps

Dennis

3. mm.alpha2k

Please paste the CLI, we are not guess, we have no magic, to know what happens to your asterisk in that time.

4. fmvillares

you have the pbx on the internet also???