PBX menu does not work with new install

Discussion in 'General' started by Slimz, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Slimz

Hello,
    I have a new install and the PBX menu page is totaly blank. I have tried IE and Firefox with no luck. Yum says the freePBX package is installed, so I do not know how to fix.

I'm not a very good linux user, so please be gentle... I did try a few things on a previous install, but started over and decided to ask for help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Slimz

2. alex_rhys-hurn

Hi,

I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you using elastix 2.0.1 32 bit. I have downloaded the CD multiple times and re-installed multiple times.

It seems all components install correctly.

More, when I try to get the FreePBX menu with the url:

http://youipaddress/admin

Then I get the error:

FATAL ERROR
    DB Error: connect failed

Did you manage to fix this? if so how?

regards

Alex

3. ramoncio

Hi alex, wellcome to the forums!

Try runnng from a console:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/elastix-firstboot start

then set your passwords, and you should be fine.

When you reboot your server after installation, this program should open in the console and let you change some passwords and increase security.

4. AdamBatey

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem with a fresh install of ealstix 2.0

Some points on my install; i'm testing installing elastix as a VM on Citrix Xenserver 5.6. I as not able to get an install working from the ISO as i cannot get the CentOS templates to recognise teh DVD drive (Cannot find Drivers) So i copied the ISO contents to an FTP server and installed from there. The install completed succesfully but i now cannot get the Web GUI to work. root

Ramoncio; i tried your command, it repsonded: Usage: /etc/init.d/elastix-firstboot {start|stop}
    So i ran the command /etc/init.d/elastix-firstboot start

It then advised me that: "Applying MySQL script /var/spool/elastix-mysqldbscripts/01-asteriskcdrdb.sql ...
    mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.77, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1"

Web GUI still not woking, i also did a reboot to make sure.

Any other ideas? let me know if there are any logs/debugs that i can provide.

UPDATE: alos noticed teh follwing error in the console when i try to get the the FreePBX gui:
    type=1400 audit(1287701088.312:6): avc: denied { name_connect } for pid=2217 comm="httpd" dest=5038 scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:eek:bject_r:port_t:s0 tclass=tcp_socket

Cheers
    Adam

5. dicko

Have you disabled selinux?, you will need to.

6. AdamBatey

HI guys,

Thanks Dicko; SELINUX was on. I have disabled it.

Still no go though; I saw this thread about a missing DB here:
    http://elastix.org/en/component/kunena/ ... sk-db.html

So i checked to see if i had an asterisk DB; and i don't. Any ideas about why this may have happened or if i can install the DB now.

I've rebuilt several times now; so i might try downloading teh ISO again incase it was corrupt.

Regards,
    Adam

7. dicko

If SElinux was on during the install, you might want to try the install process again while it is off, fixing the exclusions of SElinux is daunting.

By the flood of posts over the last few days around this subject, you might want to use an earlier iso image, I have a sneaking suspicion that someone made a boo-boo ;)

8. AdamBatey

OK,, I tried all 3 V2 ISO's (2.00, 2.01,2.02) All three enable selinux during install and the DB is not created. I take it that this should not be the case and will need to be rectified?

Dicko, you suggest re-attempting the install after disabling selinux; which install exactly. I assume booting from the ISO and trying again will just re-enable selinux and produce the same result? i did a "yum reinstall asterisk" but this did not create the DB.

Is there are specific install(s) that i can run?

thanks in advance.

Adam

9. Bob

Bob

Just a thought, and this is a real wild swing....

I have tested several installs now with the 2.0.2 release and no issues.
    Other users have installed and have no issues.

The issue in general is not going to come down to hardware (not with creating a database anyhow).

This issue wouldn't be related to the ISO password issue would it??? where the blank page
    comes up.....

As the bug reports have shown, using the special chars in the password have caused a problem for the GUI, just wondering whether something unusual is happening here as well???

Worth trying with basic passwords??

Regards
    Bob

10. alex_rhys-hurn

Hello,

I am still struggling with this.

When I

/etc/init.d/elastix-firstboot start

I get:

Password configuration already present.

Rebooting the machine then is normal. No questions for passwords.

I now REALLY need to get to my FreePBX interface.

Can anyone help?

Alex

11. newboy

i faced the similar issue with frezh install of Elastix 2.0.3.

I read on a Thread here to try to keep the same password for Root, MySQL and Admin (when installing the system).

I tried it but didn't work initially when i used some special characters in the passwords but then i tried again and used the same password for all (without special characters). It worked.

12. antone

Any solution on this? Also struggling with this...

13. dicko

If OOTB (out of the box) installation of Elastix (any version) fails , and you have read all the documentation, especially that you noted and remembered all the the 2.0.? firstboot prompts you were presented with, and read the blog from bob as to "how to install 2.0", then I suggest you post a bug in the bug-tracker link below.

If you updated ANYTHING outside of the Elastix GUI (that includes the unembedded FreePBX interface which will definitely break it, Elastix does NOT use FreePBX current, just their own fork-upped and generally dysfunctional and creakily old version ), then you probably broke something, the good thing is you get to keep all the pieces :)

dicko

14. Bob

Bob

antone,

I appreciate your frustration, and its tendency to cause you to write one liners.

However, as you can appreciate, your issue is more the exception, than the rule.

So PLEASE!! provide some more information on your issue so that the ones that are capable of assisting are able to answer your questions.

As you will note from Dicko's answer, he is having to take guesses, as you have provided no information.

Information you should provide is

1) What version of Elastix are you installing?
    2) from the ISO? ISO Name and date?
    3) 32bit or 64bit
    4) What hardware are you installing it on
    5) Did you perform YUM updates
    6) Did you perform a Freepbx update
    7) What passwords did you use as a test (use some basic passwords for testing)

These questions are all important, especially as many of us build on a regular basis, it is an opportune time us to check these issues as we build the next one.

Again had never come scross the issue that you talk about. This is not to say that it is not happening, but need to understand more of why it might happen.

Regards
    Bob

15. jh_au

I too had this problem.

After many days of x86_64 version rebuilds, dropping back to 2.0.2 & 2.0.1, doing YUM updates and even trying the 2.0.4 beta (all to no avail) it became apparent there was something going within the 2.0.x releases so I started to poke around a fresh 2.0.3 build. As a result I think I have isolated and worked around the issue.

I suspect a (the) problem is with the elastix-firstboot script - namely the way it deals with headless VM configurations (in my particular case using Centos 5.5 XEN ). It seems that when connecting to the console (eg, xm console hostname) to complete the first boot process the script 'silently' throws an error complaining about the screen which then subsequently affects both the mysql root password & elastix.conf file. This means the first boot script cannot access mysql properly and hence does not create the elastix DBs which in turn causes the script to abort without any error message being displayed.

No matter what you do you cannot access mysql as root without going through the mysql root password reset process as a result.

I managed to 'debug/reproduce' this issue by doing the following:-
    1) I looked at elastix.conf & found the 'strange' text
    2) Using Virtual box on my XP desktop I installed v2.0.3 (32bit) and found the firstboot script worked and I had the PBX menu
    3) I successfully looked at mysql and saw tables had been created & that the error text was missing, so went back to the XEN VM
    4) When I tried accessing mysql on my XEN VM to verify everthing was OK (trying multiple passwords) I couldn't so I reset the root password and found there were no tables
    5) Next, I remove elastix.conf, manually ran the first boot script and tried again, same thing
    6) Then I ssh'd into the VM reset the mysql root password, removed elastix.conf and re-ran the script. Low and behold I could access mysql, see the tables and had a working PBX menu
    7) I subsequently re-built a new elastix XEN VM where I tinkered with (patched) the firstboot script so it would run correctly under a XEN console

The only thing I have yet to do is build a new elastix XEN VM with a modified elastix XEN kickstart file which applies my workaround during the installation process, i.e add to the %post section
    Code:
    ## fix first boot startup script so it works properly under VM console
    perl -pi -e 's%=`cat $OPTFILE%=`cat $OPTFILE | sed /libgpm:/d%g' /etc/init.d/elastix-firstboot
    Here is the contents of the erroneous/borked elastix.conf file

Code:
    mysqlrootpwd=libgpm: zero screen dimension, assuming 80x25.
    fbtestpassword

Attached is a patch for elastix-firstboot with my workaround. http://forum.elastix.org/old_files/elastix_firstboot_diff.txt

16. Bob

Bob

jh_au,

Looks like you have done some great research....

Can you submit to the bugs.elastix.org.

I know it is a bit of duplication, but the developers actively review the bug tracking system as opposed to the forums.

Based on the issues I have seen now, we are actually dealing with two major issues on installs.....

The one you have found, which is causing the Single Tab after install.....
    The second is the complete loss of the GUI for a separate reason based on the install script and the kickstart file (which mainly appears due to hardware combinations - note not hardware failures)

Sounds like we are slowly getting to the bottom of these install issues....

Regards

Bob