password for asterisk user

Discussion in 'General' started by mkoblar, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mkoblar

Hi

For announced server (based on Elastix) I must copy some files to /var/spool/astrisk/outgoinig folder. I can do this with root account (via vbs script), but I don't like this solution (security reason, i must also chante ownership to asterisk user).

Can anyone help me - what's default password for user asterisk

Best regards

Marko

2. fmvillares

user asterisk does not access the system login...it does not have a password for login or use...its a nologin user....try this:man chmod, man chown, man chgrp

3. dicko

You should never "copy" into that folder, to paraphrase the words of Asterisk "that process is very aggressive" and calls will sooner or later fail.

You should follow that advice and copy them onto the machine and then move them into that directory.

4. mkoblar

TNX for info. I already copy files like root , after that I change "ovnership" with chown...

Best regards

Marko

5. mkoblar

OK. I found that hint to copy required "call" into that folder... But maybe I've made misstake. But direct copy to into that folder is also very fast :). I have try also with other directoy, and every minute, I copy files to .../outgoing folder (In this solution I should wait up to 1 minute....)

Best regards

Marko

6. dicko

cp is very fast but does it "one line at a time" so some WILL break when asterisk takes the half copied file as a call file. Both mv and chown are "a-tomic" and do it in one step. (believe me on this one , been there, done that :) )

also, running any process as root is intrinsically a security risk, it's just bad-practise, get used to using unprivileged accounts and sudoer for this sort of procedure.

dicko