Passing caller ID by extension through 1 trunk

Discussion in 'General' started by parker b, Sep 8, 2010.

1. parker b

I am a newbie and inherited this system and I'm learning as quickly as I can so bear with me...

I am trying to setup 2 companies through our system (and I only have 1 VOIP carrier). Each has their own DID which works properly. However, when outbound calls are made they both go through the same trunk and therefore the outbound caller ID is always the same. They want separate caller ID's based on the originating phone (or dial pattern maybe?).

I have created a second trunk with a different outbound caller ID but everything else is identical in hopes that I could make calls from company B use that trunk exclusively thereby setting the proper outbound caller ID which will be captured by my VOIP provider and the right CNAME will be passed to callers. Company A would use the first trunk

I also created a second outbound route identical to the first but with a different route name and set the trunk to the new one I created in the previous step.

Now is where I get lost... do I need to create some kind of separate dial pattern like company 1 dials normally and company 2 dials 9 first to get out and use that to differentiate the outbound trunks?

Or am I WAY overcomplicating this?

Here is the current dial pattern for the original route:
    1800NXXXXXX
    1866NXXXXXX
    1877NXXXXXX
    1888NXXXXXX
    1NXXNXXXXXX
    816NXXXXXX
    NXXNXXXXXX
    NXXXXXX

2. dicko

Any CallerID defined on an extension will generally override the CallerID of the trunk (unless you override this behavior in the trunk)

Presuming of course that the Carrier will honor you presented CallerID, unfortunately many will not, presenting CNAM(E) is also often an added cost even if they honor your number.

3. conduitguy

I've been working on a similar setup of my own. My objective (other than it being a learning platform) is to separate out my home office stuff from the house line. I think what you need to do is install the custom contexts module in freepbx and make a context for each office. Then just set the permissions for each context to allow only the route(s) you want.

It works pretty good, although I'm probably going to need some help figuring out why my sip trunk doesn't send any callerid info when making calls.

Good Luck