Partial Page Fax Reception Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by elwood8, Aug 16, 2010.

1. elwood8

I have a bit of an odd problem with fax reception on an Elastix box that is rather different than others fax-issues I have found references to, so I thought I'd post it here in hopes that someone may have some advice (it has been confounding me for a week or so now).

The setup is as follows:
    Stock Elastix 1.6 install
    Digium T100P Card (fed by telco PRI)
    Dual-Core P4 system, 2GB RAM (should be plenty of power, I would think)

I have followed the incoming fax setup instructions (dedicated DIDs for fax, no Zaptel or NVFax detection) in Elastix Without Tears (this setup worked great for me before on a smaller (TDM400, non-PRI) system, so I expected it to work as well or better on this one, especially with a local PRI to take the calls in on).

All of the call-routing seems to work fine, (calling the DIDs results in modem tones) the e-mail part of it works fine, etc. Tiny (one-page, not much text) faxes come in just fine on it, but as soon as the fax gets bigger (lots of text, multiple pages), it seems to lose the call and deliver only a partial fax.

The remote end (I've used several different regular fax machines as senders) reports that the transmission failed, and the recipient gets their PDF e-mailed to them from my Elastix box, but it will be cut off part-way through the first or second page. I realize that even with a local PRI the IAXModem/HylaFax solution is not considered a 100% reliable solution, but this is much worse than any issue I ever saw with the analog-fed Elastix system (which I would expect to be less reliable), and is a highly repeatable failure.

Call quality issues occurred to me as a possible reason for this, but voice calls are stable and sound great, so I wouldn't think that would be a consistent issue for faxes and not for voice calls. I wonder if there is a possibility that echo cancellation isn't getting shut down for the fax calls, but I'm not sure where to look to be sure that it is (or isn't) happening.

I'm quite perplexed by this problem, and would appreciate any advice folks on here might have. I'd be glad to post any config/log information that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!