outbound trunk

Discussion in 'General' started by velez, Jan 7, 2009.

1. velez

I have four lines entering to a digium 4 port FXO card. Each line is a group (0 thru 3). In the outbound route for local calls I have the following order g3, g2, g1 and g0. But if g3 is down I can not make any calls. It does not go automatically to g2 or the next trunk. But if g3 is busy it jumps to g2 automatically. How do I setup the outbound that in the case of a bad line jumps to the next.

Thank You

2. telecomtechnician

Hi there

1) Why do you need 4 different groups?
    2) Try putting all the lines in the same group and see if when one of the lines is busy or disconnected the call still goes out.
    3) Check that the outbound route is correctly configured. I assume that you have more than one.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina

3. velez

I was thinking in doing that and that is why I posted the question. The reason is tha some of our lines and our customer pbx are unlimited and the other have to pay per minute. So in the outbound I have two lines going out and the 3rd call and any more calls would go thru voip at a lower rate.

All the other outbound long distance routes are thru voip

Thanks for your response.

4. Bob

Bob

First of all, the use of the groups for each line is something I have not tried, and I believe is probably not correct (possibly due to the way groups work).

Each of your lines, if you need to differentiate which individual lines you want to use, is to set them up as Zap channels, so instead of setup of lines as g0, you just enter 1 for the first line and 2 for the second line etc... You also need to hand edit the zapata-channels.conf and change the context for each line from from-pstn to from-zaptel.

Once this is done, in your outbound routes, you can select the order they use the lines in sequence e.g.

ZAP/1
    ZAP/2
    ZAP/3
    ZAP/4
    VoipProvider etc

it should try each one in order as you have listed.

Now if it is getting to line 3 and stopping after changing the G0/G1 to zap channels, then there is a bigger issue and that is possibly the card or the line is very screwed up. The only way it will fail to move to the next line is if it thinks channel 3 functional, and this sort of fault can happen, but not that often, they are either working or dead. If you have this sort of issue, it needs to be resolved at the carrier level as trying to put workarounds in will lead to other issues.

Regards

Bob