Out route access level

Discussion in 'General' started by fcastro, Mar 5, 2009.

1. fcastro

Hello everybody,

I have a suggestion to do.
    I think it could be useful to have the possibility to restrict access to out routes to each extension:

For example:
    you can define out routes: local calls, mobiles, nationals, etc.

Then when you add an extension you have a combo box showing previously defined routes. Then you can choose the routes that the extension can access.

Another idea that could be used together with the other is:

you can define personal pins (like route pins but for each person). You have to define routes that the pin can use, the same with extensions but pins are personal.

After that when you add an extension you have 3 restriccion levels:

1. No restriccion: this extension can call without restriccions.

2. Route level: this extension can call only if the destination is routed by a permitted route for the extension. If the route is not permitted then pin is asked and if the personal pin can access to the route call is routed.

3. Personal pin: this extension will ask allways for a pin and if the pin has required level to use that route call is routed.

In adittion, having personal pins allow to show WHO (and not what extension) had make the call in Reports.

Is it clear? I can explain it better if you want.

Do you think it could be a good idea?

2. Patrick_elx

You can already do that with the additional 'custom context' extension for freepbx.

3. chrisuk1978

fcastro,

You can already do it without installing anything additional with A2Billing (See calling cards under your Extras tab), and with a little configuration.

See my recent forum post explaining the procedure:

http://www.elastix.org/index.phpoption=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=16998&catid=25#16998

I did this about 18 months ago and use this method to control access to to trunks from extensions with fine grained access control. It also gives an excellent least cost routing engine.

Let me know if you need some help setting this up.

All best,
    Chris.

4. fcastro

Thanks Chris for your help,

I know there are different ways to do that but I was only suggesting that it could be great to have the possibility to restrict routes from PBX configuration in Elastix. I don't know if this modification should be done in freepbx or it could be done any way in Elastix.

Do you think it could be useful?

Thanks again.

5. chrisuk1978

fcastro,

Both solutions will achieve broadly what you are looking for. Where its been useful for me is that I have turned off all calling card announcements and pin requests and allow a dynamic path to my selection of trunks base on the cheapest route to a destination for a given time of the day, and availability of trunks.

This way I can restrict some extensions from calling some numbers at some time of the day, and the decisions are based on a simple rule that I define (rather than explicitly defining which extension has access to which route in a static manner.

Have a think about what you are looking for, it may be that the A2Billing solution is needlessly complex for what you need. I have found A2Billing extremely useful and note that it is criminally under used - I'd like to see more people enjoy the benefits as I'd hate to see it get pulled from the distro due to lack of interest.

Let me know if I can help further.

All best,
    Chris.

6. chrisuk1978

fcastro,

Both solutions will achieve broadly what you are looking for. Where its been useful for me is that I have turned off all calling card announcements and pin requests and allow a dynamic path to my selection of trunks base on the cheapest route to a destination for a given time of the day, and availability of trunks.

This way I can restrict some extensions from calling some numbers at some time of the day, and the decisions are based on a simple rule that I define (rather than explicitly defining which extension has access to which route in a static manner).

Have a think about what you are looking for, it may be that the A2Billing solution is needlessly complex for what you need. I have found A2Billing extremely useful and note that it is criminally under used - I'd like to see more people enjoy the benefits as I'd hate to see it get pulled from the distro due to lack of interest.

Let me know if I can help further.

All best,
    Chris.

7. maumar

i need exactly what fcastro is talking about; i agree with him that this a base feature that an advanced pbx cannot miss.
    How can do it with "custom context"?
    tia

8. maumar

9. mattdavis90