openvpn

Discussion in 'General' started by mihpel, Sep 13, 2008.

1. mihpel

In search for an openvpn solution for elastix i stumbled upon this blog which notes:
    So i gave it a shot using

Code:
    rpm -ihv http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-2.noarch.rpm 
    Code:
    yum install openvpn
    admiting
    Code:
    yum update

the following list of files is generated as shown in the image

As a resault i now have a working openvpn which i have not tested for voice since i only need it for internet access to and from the machine.

2. mihpel

I just tested the connection with voice and it works flawlessly.

Hope it helps :)

3. techieg

Hello mihpel,

I assume you mean that you set up OpenVPN on to connect two remote ELastix setups without issues. If I may ask, during your successful tests did u have it in Route or Bridge mode?

I will also add that the community will be looking forward to an integration in Elastix.

Thank you.

4. mihpel

To make thinks more clear...

I just connected an Elastix box (192.168.x.x/24) as a client to an existing route mode openvpn server (10.215.0.x/27), then connected a laptop from a different location (10.215.2.x/27) on the same vpn tunnel (172.16.1.x/24) and tested the ability to pass and receive calls.

This procedure was successful!

I imagine that passing trunks through a similar vpn setup would not be a hustle but since i have a couple of elastix boxes waiting to be set on production, i will test such a scenario within the week and post results.

I can not think of a reason to set up a bridged mode vpn server on an elastix box since it would not be much of a firewall anyway and a serious firewall would be the appropriate residence of such a server.

Anyway i could test passing trunks through an existing openswan bridged vpn but i can not say when since it involves a lot of moving around through town.

5. mihpel

I have just tested a trunk between two elastix boxe's connected as clients on the same setup openvpn server as described above.

I had to use the tunnel ip address's for the trunk to work (172.16.1.x/24) but other than that it worked as it should.

At the moment i am short of time so i can not do more extensive test's and the performed test's where made under time pressure.

If someone else would care to give a shot at it i would appreciate any feedback.