openvpn

mihpel

In search for an openvpn solution for elastix i stumbled upon this blog which notes:
To install on CentOS, I grab the rpms from the EPEL repo. EPEL stands for Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux. They are Fedora packages repackaged for Redhat Enterprise. The project homepage and documentation is at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL. There is also a package list at that site.
So i gave it a shot using

Code:
rpm -ihv http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-2.noarch.rpm
Code:
yum install openvpn
admiting
Code:
yum update

the following list of files is generated as shown in the image

As a resault i now have a working openvpn which i have not tested for voice since i only need it for internet access to and from the machine.

mihpel

I just tested the connection with voice and it works flawlessly.

Hope it helps :)

techieg

mihpel said:
I just tested the connection with voice and it works flawlessly.

Hope it helps :)

Hello mihpel,

I assume you mean that you set up OpenVPN on to connect two remote ELastix setups without issues. If I may ask, during your successful tests did u have it in Route or Bridge mode?

I will also add that the community will be looking forward to an integration in Elastix.

Thank you.

mihpel

To make thinks more clear...

I just connected an Elastix box (192.168.x.x/24) as a client to an existing route mode openvpn server (10.215.0.x/27), then connected a laptop from a different location (10.215.2.x/27) on the same vpn tunnel (172.16.1.x/24) and tested the ability to pass and receive calls.

This procedure was successful!

I imagine that passing trunks through a similar vpn setup would not be a hustle but since i have a couple of elastix boxes waiting to be set on production, i will test such a scenario within the week and post results.

I can not think of a reason to set up a bridged mode vpn server on an elastix box since it would not be much of a firewall anyway and a serious firewall would be the appropriate residence of such a server.

Anyway i could test passing trunks through an existing openswan bridged vpn but i can not say when since it involves a lot of moving around through town.

mihpel

I have just tested a trunk between two elastix boxe's connected as clients on the same setup openvpn server as described above.

I had to use the tunnel ip address's for the trunk to work (172.16.1.x/24) but other than that it worked as it should.

At the moment i am short of time so i can not do more extensive test's and the performed test's where made under time pressure.

If someone else would care to give a shot at it i would appreciate any feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janko67