OpenVox 110P, 110E and Elastix 1.6 and Dahdi

Discussion in 'Gateways' started by rollinsolo, Mar 11, 2010.

1. rollinsolo

I am reading through the great documentation from the OpenVox Wiki (well done) but it refers to recompile the latest Dahdi Drivers and Asterisk 1.6, I tried an install in Dec 09 using 1.6 and a Rhino card, it recognized the card, and let me configure the correct amount of channels, but the stock dahdi drivers at the time failed and my d-channel kept going down, and obviously Elastix 1.6 uses asterisk 1.4. If there is a patch then I do not know how to apply it.

Because of the great Documentation and popularity of OpenVox I will be using them for now on for a PRI interface.

So my question is can someone show me how to recompile asterisk 1.4 with latest Dahdi/LibPRI drivers so the D-Channel will not go down, will this work for most hardware because I don't want to waste the Rhino card even though I'm moving on from them.

Or just show me what needs to be changed from http://wiki.openvox.cn/index.php/OpenVox_D110P_Dahdi_en .

I'm hesitant to recompile asterisk because I don't have a PRI myself only my customers do, so I want to be ready when I go in there to re-install them from 1.3 to 1.6, and make the move from Zapata to Dahdi. So if anyone has had experience with this please share in detail not just theory.

Here is what I did once I recognized the hardware forgive the spacing/forum affect lol.

When you configure a card there are two parts.
    First part: you install the linux module, and
    configure the /etc/dahdi/system.conf
    /etc/dahdi/system.conf

span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs ;this is assuming you have a 12 channel pri
    # termtype: te
    bchan=1-12
    dchan=24 ;another user has hardhdlc=24 in his I think dchan is for the us, if there is an issue replace.
    echocanceller=oslec,1-12

# Global data

loadzone = us
    defaultzone = us
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    start the dahdi service with /etc/init.d/dahdi restart

Finally, in /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf you configure your channels specific settings, as signalling, etc. (ie. pri_cpe)
    You can also do it automatically with dahdi_genconf. And after that, you restart asterisk to reload the new configuration, and it should work.

Ok so that was what I did everything looked good, D-channel kept going down.

I cannot recall if I performed a yum update prior to the steps, but not sure if that will update Dahdi Drivers either.

Thanks all once I gather good Info, I will post a successful install in Tips and Tricks from Start to Finish.

2. james.zhu

hi:
    please follow the doc from openvox exactly and then check:
    1) make sure CRC, used or not used?
    2) make sure physical connection is well connected? BNC or Rj45 cable? make sure it works and live.
    3) make sure the channels is configured correctly, do not assuming that.
    4) make sure your provider has active the service.
    if you still not solve that, please email your ssh to me.

3. dicko

james.zhu :

I have a question for you and Openvox.

Does not DAHDI stand for

"Digium Asterisk Hardware Device Interface" ?

With respect, Asterisk is largely Digium's product, If you have valid patches that are required to make your hardware DAHDI compliant, why can't you do the Rhino/Xorcom/etc. thing and submit that to Digium, that way your hardware could be legitimately added to Asterisk, currently, and by the posts here amazingly often, you require your customers to go through all sorts of BS to make it work?

Come on guys please contribute your work back to the mother-lode.

JM2CWAE dicko

4. james.zhu

hi:
    the step to install D110P is same as normal, maybe the customer is very new to asterisk and pri. if installing elastix, elastix will automatically detect the card D110P.
    OpenVox has tried to report patch to asterisk community for certain cards' drivers, but the feedback is not good. I think OpenVox is playing a good role in elastix community.

5. rollinsolo

The point of my post James was to get more command specific instruction as to recompile asterisk 1.4 not 1.6 because Elastix 1.6 uses 1.4, so the openvox instructions are for asterisk 1.6 which I would not try just yet. I asked a very detailed question but got a general answer. I would really appreciate a detailed answer and I promise to post an easy to understand tutorial on how to update dahdi and tools, libpri, and Elastix 1.6 to use PRI's in the US in the tips and tricks section. Crediting whoever needs to get credited for sure.

6. james.zhu

hi:
    no matter which versin of elastix you are using, you do not need to recompile that if your
    card is D110P. elastix natively suports openvox D110P, you need to set it to T1(set jumer to T1 on the board) for USA.
    please email me your ssh, we will set it for you.

7. rollinsolo

That is good to know, the original question was for my first attempt at Elastix 1.6 using a Rhino R1T1 card and Dahdi that did not work out well, and since I don't want to waste the money spent on the card, I wanted a general fix for most cards, even though I will only be using OpenVox for all future installs regarding PRI customers.

8. rollinsolo

Ok so James if I am correct I took the jumper off of the two pins and now it should be ready for a Us T1 interface right? Open=T1, meaning jumper is off, and closed = E1 meaning the jumper stays on?

9. rollinsolo

Also a couple of questions, Dahdi 2.2.0 comes with Elastix 1.6 (asterisk 1.4), Is dahdi 2.2.1 mainly for (asterisk 1.6) and what about Dahdi 2.3.0 are those updated for use with any of these versions.

10. rollinsolo

Ok so gave it a shot today I have a friend with a PRI and he was out of the office until Next Monday and said I can use his PRI to test the new version of Elastix 1.6 with Dahdi. I upgraded my Dahdi Drivers and Tools to 2.3.0 but had no luck. I used an openvox D110E, I got it brand new for $250 (pretty excited about that part, but not the fact that it has not worked right yet, to be fair I tried a 1.6 upgrade ealier this year with a Rhino R1T1 and it did not work either, could not get a call out).
    1. I recognized the card under Hardware Detection, created system.conf and changed the channels there to reflect the correct amount.
    # Autogenerated by /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf on Wed May 5 12:28:36 2010
    # If you edit this file and execute /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf again,
    # your manual changes will be LOST.
    # Dahdi Configuration File
    #
    # This file is parsed by the Dahdi Configurator, dahdi_cfg
    #
    # Span 1: WCT1/0 "Digium Wildcard TE110P T1/E1 Card 0" (MASTER)
    span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
    # termtype: te
    bchan=1-9
    dchan=24

# Global data
    loadzone = us
    defaultzone = us

2. Restarted Dahdi for all to fail, I had to remove the echocancellation in system.conf or change to MG2 for it to even restart properly, then it would restart.
    3. lsdahdi showed my nine channels in use and the d channel clear. at no point and time did they save active like they do with Zapata.
    4. Ran dahdi_genconf
    5. I did stop the amportal prior to these steps, I tried it both ways and after started amportal. No avail. I also pre-configured outbound routes to use the dahdi/zapatacompatible trunk to dial out.
    6. Here is the chan_dahdi.conf file: (I tried to follow the latest without Tears and changed from-pstn to from-zaptel no avail.
    ; Auto-generated by /usr/sbin/hardware_detector
    [trunkgroups]

[channels]
    context=from-zaptel
    signalling=pri_cpe
    rxwink=300 ; Atlas seems to use long (250ms) winks
    usecallerid=yes
    hidecallerid=no
    callwaiting=yes
    usecallingpres=yes
    callwaitingcallerid=yes
    threewaycalling=yes
    transfer=yes
    canpark=yes
    cancallforward=yes
    callreturn=yes
    echocancel=yes
    echocancelwhenbridged=no
    faxdetect=incoming
    echotraining=800
    rxgain=0.0
    txgain=0.0
    callgroup=1
    pickupgroup=1

;Uncomment these lines if you have problems with the disconection of your analog lines
    ;busydetect=yes
    ;busycount=3

immediate=no

#include dahdi-channels.conf
    #include chan_dahdi_additional.conf

7. Last but not least dahdi-channels.conf I also changed from-pstn to from-zaptel both ways and restarted dahdi and the box each time, no avail.
    ; Autogenerated by /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf on Wed May 5 12:28:36 2010
    ; If you edit this file and execute /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf again,
    ; your manual changes will be LOST.
    ; Dahdi Channels Configurations (chan_dahdi.conf)
    ;
    ; This is not intended to be a complete chan_dahdi.conf. Rather, it is intended
    ; to be #include-d by /etc/chan_dahdi.conf that will include the global settings
    ;

; Span 1: WCT1/0 "Digium Wildcard TE110P T1/E1 Card 0" (MASTER)
    group=0,11
    context=from-zaptel
    switchtype = national
    signalling = pri_cpe
    channel => 1-9
    context = default
    group = 63

If I buy a real Digium Wildcard am I going to have the same issues and difficulty getting calls out, I hate having to keep using Elastix 1.3 for all of my PRI customers because of the ease of Zapata and how it works right everytime. Any help is as always appreciated. Gonna try again tommorrow Using elastix 1.6 re-done with the regular Dahdi 2.2.0 that comes with it.