off topic: standalone IVR device for analog lines

Discussion in 'General' started by kdiamond, Jan 20, 2009.

1. kdiamond

I'm looking for a small solution for very small companies that ONLY need a basic IVR welcome greeting and voice mail.

- Setting up a dedicated PC with Elastix is too much troubles and too expensive.

- phone devices with answering machine feature does not allow to upload custom recorded greetings. Only direct headphone recording.

- voice modem and use of their PC (with windows IVR client) is too complicated and voice modem support and quality is not good.

I'm looking for kinda gateway device or something that can be inserted in between analog line and analog phone and allows to upload custom recorded greetings.

analog line ----> IVR Gateway ----> analog phone.

Any help would be most welcome.

Thank you

Br,
    kd

2. Bob

Bob

kdiamond,

It is a shame that you find Elastix setup an issue. It is probably the most flexible option.

But based on the simplicity of your requirement, I suspect that you may not find anything that is at a reasonable cost. Just taking a guess, I suspect that like many, including Elastix users, you are putting a more professional front on a business with a single telephone line. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that.

However, your device specifications (which include the ability to upload a file as opposed to using the phone to record it) mean that the Gateway requires a HTTP Server, analog port(s) in, analog port(s) out, reasonable circuitry to complete these operations. When a manufacturer has to go to these lengths, they need to make something that is commercially viable across a wide range of users. So as you can imagine, with this setup, they are basically going to produce a Appliance device that suits your need, but also a much wider range of users as well. So it is not going to be cheap, it is going to cost the same if not more than a dedicated budget PC (e.g $299USD) and TDM with 1 FXO and 1 FXS Port.

In terms of Appliances that will perform your need are:

1) Elastix appliance with 1FXO/1FXS Card fitted - definitely recommend this unit
    2) Talkswitch (may be under different name for other countries)

Both of these units support upload of sound recordings, both support analog in and analog out...

There are probably others as well, and hybrids e.g. SPA9000 with SPA400, but if you want something with support, the two above will perform what you need. Just re-check your requirements....

Regards

Bob

3. kdiamond

Mr.Bob

Thank you very much for your help.

What I want is to send (via mail) my customers pre-configured device with custom greeting, so all they need to do is plug it in between phone and line. That's of course only for the smallest companies that needs only a nice personal greeting recorded by a professional speaker. Companies with bigger needs will of course get PC with Elastix.

I'll check those devices.

Thank you
    Br,
    kd