nvfaxdetect

Discussion in 'General' started by ramoncio, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ramoncio

Hello.
    Finally, after many months I've nearly got faxing working on elastix.
    I can send faxes from the network, control hylafax queue through a webmin plugin and jhylafax-1.3.10.
    Created some users with:
    # faxadduser -a admin -p password -u UID username

But I have a problem with incoming fax detection.
    As I've recently seen in your Documentation page, NVfax detection should be used.
    All my fax test calls are routed to the default RingGroup, and if I pickup the phone I get the fax tones.

I have noticed that when you check nvfaxdetect status seems not to be registered:
    # asterisk -r
    # set verbose 10
    # core show applications
    I don't see nvfaxdetect in the list
    and with
    # core show application nvfaxdetect
    I get:
    Your application(s) is (are) not registered
    Has anybody got this working?
    I have seen in some websites some possible solutions, all of them including recompiling asterisk from source (wich I'd prefer not to do), making some modifications to the app_nv_faxdetect.c file before the compile process.
    Please it would be nice some help!!

2. ramoncio

After some tests I got incoming faxes working too!!
    nvfaxdetect does not work for me.
    I used Zaptel fax detection (I have a X100p clone) and 2 seconds of pause after answer in my inbound route and now it works!

3. EricL

Problem is, I'm using strictly IAX for this stuff. I've been doing some poking around, and it looks like Asterisk has to be recompiled with the NVFaxDetect module loaded. Any idea why it wasn't included with this distro?

Eric

4. lek

lek Guest

Dear Ramoncio,

We could compile the next Asterisk version with nvfax detection support. But, I would want to figure it out if it's really needed.

I looked the /etc/asterisk files but could not find any mention to the NVFaxDetect application.

Do you think it is needed?

5. ramoncio

No need of nvfaxdetect. Zaptel detection works ok here.
    I just wanted to point out that in your faxing howto you tell people to use nvfax detection. Maybe you can change that document to avoid newcomer's madness.

6. lek

lek Guest

Thanks a lot for clarify Ramoncio. We'll fix the documentation.

7. jhamon

Hi,

I'm trying to get this to work on my setup with no real success. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

What hardware are you using to send and receive the faxes? Can you help me with any config file settings?

Thanks.

Jonathan Hamon

8. EricL

So you're telling me that Zaptel works even if you aren't using Zaptel trunking? I tried it once that way and it would never send to the fax extension.

9. johnranger

Hi Edgar,

I would like to come back to talk about the setup of Eric: He (as I do) is using IAX (only) as the Link to the outside world.

Fax detection through ZapTel only works if you come through a PSTN (through a Zapateller card; hence the name Zaptel) in, which is NOT the case if you have an IAX connection to your VoIP provider.

To be able to detect a Fax tone over an incoming SIP/IAX trunk, NVFaxDetect MUST be used.

May I please ask to consider compiling in the NVFaxDetect into your Asterisk build?

With kind rergards,

John

10. lek

lek Guest

Dear John,

NVFaxDetect will be included in the final 0.8.5 release. Unfortunately, it's not included in the 0.8.5-alpha version released today.

Thanks for your suggestion.

11. intersol

So does the last version has NvFaxDetect enabled?
    Now, i've discovered that my elastix distribution was upgraded by yum to asterisk-1.4.13-48.el5 and it doesn't seams to have nvfaxdetect enabled.