Not receiving faxes on elastix 2.2

Discussion in 'General' started by li2, Sep 30, 2010.

1. li2

li2

Hi
    I did fax settings elastix
    Apparently everything is correct
    Fax is sent correctly but will not receive faxes
    Several types of fax machine but also tried to send faxes from their systems fail is elastix.
    Please advise me on.

2. trymes

li2,

Welcome to the Elastix community! To get a better response, though, you should post this in the Help forum, not the announcements forum.

Shouldn't this forum be closed to posting except for administrators? At the very least only Admins should be able to create a new thread?

Tom

3. li2

li2

thank you

4. rafael

Re: Re:Not receiving faxes on elastix 2.2

just moved. I may close the forum, but useres would not be able to post in open threads on that forum. Talking about annoucement forum, just moved the post to the propoer place.

regards,

Rafael

5. trymes

To my way of thinking, I would say that the Announcements forum is for Announcements only. If you look through all of the posts, you see constant requests for help in the announcement threads.

If you make an announcement of 2.0.3 and I want to know how to upgrade, I should post a question in Help, not in the announcement thread.

Just my $0.02,

Tom

6. coryjsanders

Hi Tom, I cannot get my virtual fax to answer. Running 1.6. I create a VF with the same secret as the Ext. Set the Inbound to go to the Fax Ext. Neither Zap nor NVfax will answer. Non detect answers and goes to the IVR I have set. I am using SIP. Incoming DID is T.38. Following EWT and the Help screens on the GUI. This is my Ext. in iax_additional.conf

[3001]
    deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    type=friend
    setvar=REALCALLERIDNUM=3001
    secret=<xxxxx>
    qualify=yes
    port=4569
    permit=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    transfer=no
    mailbox=3001@device
    host=dynamic
    dial=IAX2/3001
    context=from-internal
    callerid=device <3001>
    accountcode=

Help?

7. trymes

Cory,

You might consider starting a new thread for your specific problem in the future. Having said that, you are making it too complicated.

If you have an inbound route that is for faxes only or for voice only, you do not need to worry about fax detection. Fax detection is ONLY for when you need to determine if a call is fax or not. If it's a fax only number, it's safe to assume that all call are fax calls, so disable fax detection and set the destination of the route to the fax extension.

I find myself making this similar suggestion over and over, but it is very important. Break your problem down into different steps and test each one. Once you figure out what piece is failing, start digging. In other words:

1.) Set up the virtual fax and corresponding IAX extension.
    2.) Dial that extension number. Does the FAX server pickup? If not, start digging.
    3.) Set up the inbound route. Dial it. Does the fax pick up? If not, start digging.

This is as opposed to trying to put the whole thing together and figure out which part is the culprit when it doesn't work. For example, if the inbound route part fails, direct it to a known working extension (your desk, say), and see if it works then.

Let us know what you find!

Tom

8. coryjsanders

okay. dicko will be shaking his head. Tried dialing my fax ext from my soft phone. Fax picked up. Set no detect on Inbound. My problem was I had it on detect, and I had my destination as an IVR. In 2.0 in the fax there are 2 destinations. I got confused. Works perfectly now! Thanks!!!

Question on Hylafax. It seems that in 1.6 the only way to get outbound fax is with Hylafax. I downloaded it and it looks very nice. My only problem is my 1.6 box is hosted at a colo. When I put the public IP of it in the config it would not register. Let me try to port forward the port for the fax, now that I think about it. Need to tell my router to forward it. Then the only problem seems, my PC has a private address. If I put that in the client box I don't think it's going to work.

9. trymes

That's exactly it. If you tell it to detect faxes, you have to tell it where to send faxes and where to send non-fax calls.

As for the second part, it sounds like you are talking about a HylaFAX client for Windows? In that case, you need to forward the proper ports to the server and I don't think you need to do anything for the client end. Definitely check the docs on that client. If nothing else does the trick, you could create a VPN to the server and avoid all of the NAT issues. Certainly more complex, though!

Tom

10. coryjsanders

Okay. Inbound working perfectly on 1.6 and 2.0. I'm giving User in Elastix permission only for Fax Visor/Viewer. This way all can sign in and see faxes. Only problem is there is no way to segregate users' faxes like there is with emails in the Elastix User portal, so everyone on the orginiztion who has access to that user portal sees everyone's faxes. It they don't get access they are limited to archiving them on their PC via the emails they receive. And there is no way to see faxes in ARI. So I'm left with a two-portal solution to give organizations an email and fax portal with their phone service. Unless you say differently. Or sir dicko... He hates it when I call him that.

Outbound is a different story. I run all SIP. I can fax out text no problem in 2.0. Works every time through my SIP provider. But attachments are another story. I watch tail -f /var/log/messages when they go out and with a .txt attachment I get an error towards the end. (Interesting thing is that eventually the .txt files came through. Asterisk obviously kept trying and eventually the provider was able to handle the attachments.) My SIP provider says I have to have a separate IP Address to send to their T.38 DIDs. I'm not exactly sure how that would work with one box. He said most people use two boxes. Need to investigate that more. I'm nating to one public IP of my router on my box is sip_nat.conf. Hmmm. No attempts with Hylafax yet. Got an interesting reply from the author of it. He didn't even know Hylafax was included with Elastix. Will post elsewhere.

Just got Openfire IM working on 2.0 with Spark, too. Love it!

If I could get Call Center to do a dialer on an outbound campaign I would be very happy. May have to enlist the PS guys.

11. coryjsanders

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this since the category is Hylafax.

This is the response from Jonas, "I can not give you specific advice, because I do not know Elastix (actually, before your mail, I did not even know it includes my program...).

Nevertheless, your problem sounds like a issue with firewall settings to me.

The HylaFAX protocol is based on FTP (it basically is FTP with some additional commands).
    Like FTP, it uses separate control and data connections (the control connection is the one to port 4559 on the HylaFAX server, the data connection is opened to a random port whenever data is to be transferred (e.g. the available faxes are listed, a fax is viewed, ...)).

So, given the information you gave me, the only advice I can give you is to check your firewall settings and/or configure it to treat connections to port
    4559 as FTP (most firewalls have a special handling for FTP to recognize the data connection and temporarily opened the port used for it)."

Cory

12. trymes

Cory,

I think you are confusing HylaFAX and the HylaFAX Client included with Elastix, which are not the same, nor are they made by the same group of developers.

HylaFAX is the server software that receives faxes and sends them. unless I am mistaken, you are talking about the windows client software that you install on your desktop and use to send faxes to the server (via the FTP-like protocol).

Having said that, you should probably focus on your router. You could also attempt a VPN connection, which will eliminate the NAT problems.

Tom