Newbie question about security of Asterisk/elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by marezi, Apr 19, 2009.

1. marezi

Hello!

I am reading a lot of bugs being discovered and then fixed.
    The last for example:
    http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2009/Apr/1021970.html

When a fix/patch is released is there a simple way to aply it to elastix? How?

Is there a way to be informed or to make it more secure - autoupdate?

Thanks!

2. blackgecko

yum update
    yum upgrade

3. marezi

So this command also implements patches for asterisk?

Do I need to add repository for asterisk and elastix or is this already done in elastix ISO ?

Thanks.

4. blackgecko

it is already been done

5. rafael

That would upgrade your system to the latest version of Elastix. Elastix take care of upgrading asterisk packages.

6. marezi

Is there some kind of protection if upgrade is major - a lot of changes that could make problems on curent set up?

7. tarnok

I was wondering about marezi's question too. Lets say someone hasn't done a yum update/upgrade in 8+ months. Would there be any dangers / broken configurations occurring that is well known?

Which parts of the file system should be backed up to be safe?

8. jammerz

I've actually broken some of my elastix and pbxinflash boxes when doing yum updates on production systems and it was a fairly heavy burden to redo servers til I started utilizing vmware's esxi virtual machines and snapshots.

I would always suggest doing some tests on a separate development or virtual machine and first back it up or in VMware's case snapshot before you update, then see what is the outcome of yum update and if it works you can do the same on your production system, this way you can always revert back to last good snapshot...I did it on a production system without first testing on my dev system the other day (I know better) nevertheless, it saved my A.. when I reverted back to my snapshot and decided I'd better do some tests back on Dev box.

jf