Newbie has hand up for help.

Discussion in 'General' started by MGG, Aug 31, 2009.

1. MGG

MGG

Hi everyone. This is my first post so please excuse. I would be most greatful if someone could help me here. I am willing to pay if I have to.

I am having problems installing Elastix and believe you can help me. I would be grateful if you could have a look at the questions below and contact me with :

a. An indication if you can help me,

b. How much you think it would cost (Your Hourly Rate)

c. An estimate of the time it would take to arrive at the GUI listed on page 26 of

2. dicko

Hello MGG and welcome

you advertise yourself as

. . . IT & T Consultant . . .

but your questions indicate a very limited experience outside MS. That puts you in the same place as many who come here for the first time, but don't worry, almost everyone is successful.

"Elastix Without Tears" in itself contains all you need to setup your Elastix box. A complete digestion of it will indeed have you up and running "without tears"

There is no GUI by default on the installed hardware, mostly because it is an unnecessary drain of resources on a "server", all functionality is exposed as a "web service" available at it's IP address to any other host on the LAN.

This support site is specifically for Elastix, Basic Linux per se it's outside that purview.
    The best free resource I can think of for you is Google. But rest assured that the function of every item piece of software you enquire about is available and it will cost you about . . .nothing but your time. (most can even be installed on your windowbox)

3. MGG

MGG

Thanks Dicko

I guess my main problem is that I need to work at the Linux prompt to get my NIC configured with an IP address. I think once I get the GUI up and running I will be OK from there.

4. dicko

ifconfig is the basic linux tool for that, man ifconfig, or perhaps in your case, google will give you the syntax, if just one NIC then it is almost certainly eth0.

(again, there is no GUI by default)

5. MGG

MGG

Cheers Dicko,

Anyone else out there who would like to embellish what Dicko has done for me . I would appreciate that.

6. dicko

Please feel free to search the forums, here, I believe most of your questions have already been asked and answered.

[edit]

I noticed you added a rather important fact to your original post
    My installation of Elastix did not autoconfigure my NIC on my Toshiba ( Satellite M50 ) notebook computer. I have downloaded a Win XP driver for the NIC (SM53_LAN_5612628_XP.exe ) Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet. Toshiba has no driver for Linux

if ifconfig eth0 complains that eth0 is not there, You might need to get the linux driver for your Realtek network card (not windows, and several posts here about how to do that), given it's age, I am surprised it is not there though.

Further You might try the Beta build iso as it a) has better hardware support, and b) is almost ready for primetime.

7. MGG

MGG

Thanks again Dicko
    you may be happy to know, I have the server on my network and I successfully pinged it. Now I will get back to reading EWOT ( Elastix Without Tear) I find it a very good read.
    You have given me a nice welcome into the community....Thank you.

8. dicko

:) :)

I am always happy to see the first step taken toward enlightenment. I have long felt that computers work better (and certainly longer) without gates or windows.

A fully functioanl GUI can be installed with:

yum -y groupinstall "X Window System" "Office/Productivity" "GNOME Desktop Environment" "Printing Support" "Windows File Server"

to run it:

startx