New User -- Can't get started.

Discussion in 'General' started by phonebuff, Oct 25, 2007.

1. phonebuff

Afternoon,

I have been using @home & Trixbox for awhile but since I am also a Hylafax on FreeBSD user I thought I would try this Distro and see how I do..

Well my 1st issue is very basic (Remember FreeBSD) I need to either get the install to ask, or know what files to VI so that I can get the static IPs for the LAN loaded into the box and the box accessible by a browser.

Have tried a number of different boot options, but I can't get it to ask me the basic network questions, and I don't see a configure my network script I can run from the text console.

TIA,
    JMS...

2. lek

lek Guest

There is a Web tool to do that. Please go to "System -> Network".

Anyway if you want to do it from the shell try editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ files.

3. phonebuff

Yes,

There is a web tool. But not untill you either get a DHCP adress and Identify it, or as you say go in and VI the network-scripts.

I would suggest a network panel in the install that gives the user som options to get the setup right and documented.

Phonebuff.

4. N7OKN

Here's an idea. Once it goes through the install, log into the console as root and use the password you chose. Then type netconfig.
    You will then be able to enter an IP address, mask, DNS and gateway. Exit out of the tool and
    to make changes active on the fly, type:
    service network restart

Hope that helps

5. lek

lek Guest

Thanks for your posts,

Also you can use the setup tool from the command line which is available in Elastix.

6. phonebuff

Edgar,

None of the notes or searches I looked at seemd to indicate any of these options. When I get a some time next week, I will scratch my test box and try 8.9.

Maybe a MOTD with some basic notes would be helpful.

Thks,

7. lek

lek Guest

We'll include this in the next user manual.