New House Installation

Discussion in 'General' started by WinMaster, Aug 13, 2010.

1. WinMaster

Dear all
    I am new to the VOIP arena although I have been playing around with it for sometime.
    I just finished building my new house and the time has come to think of My home PBX so I have considered Elastix as my favorate PBX but as I am new I have the following Questions in mind and would appreciate answers to them before I go ahead and spend my money and time.
    My house is a 3 floors , the top floor has 2 apartment(for rent) so they would need thier own extentions and paging along with the door/intercom open. my own floor also would need its own extentions and I would need the communication to the doorbell/intercom .

1- is there a reliable solotion for the Door opener from within elastix extentions?
    2can use paging/announcements to all extensions in a certian group)say my floor) ?
    3-I have wired the whole house with normal telephone wires plus network cables to have the option of installing IP phones or analog phones. what is the advantage of each?

5- for analog I am considering and channel bank , what is recommended?
    6- IP phones what is the main features I should be looking for?

I wuld appreciate any answer on my questions even if only one question is answered it would help me collect as much information to make my decision.

thank you all

Al

2. Awesomo

1- is there a reliable solotion for the Door opener from within elastix extentions?
    Yes, http://www.888voipstore.com/cyberdata-v ... n-box.html If you currently have an analog door solution, there are some nice threads hanging out on the trixbox forums about making them work reliably with ata's.

2- can use paging/announcements to all extensions in a certian group)say my floor) ?
    Yes, it's called a paging group.

3- I have wired the whole house with normal telephone wires plus network cables to have the option of installing IP phones or analog phones. what is the advantage of each?
    Analog will give the tenants the ability to use their own cordless phones and answering machines. But you will lose the paging ability, say for use with the door. Maybe a hybrid of both would be plausible.

What happened to #4 :)

5- for analog I am considering a channel bank , what is recommended?
    Haven't used a channel bank yet, have used the digium tdm400p and tex410p cards with success. Openvox is a cheaper alternative to those cards. I have an Openvox tdm400p at home and it's been working fine.

6- IP phones what is the main features I should be looking for?
    If it is made by Aastra, you can't go wrong. It all depends on how many features you need. I would go for 53i's for the tenants and 57i's for yourself

I like Aastra phones. After trying Cisco 7940/60s, The Snom 360, Polycom 501, and the Aastra 53i/55i/57i series. Hands down the Aastra's win for ease of configuration and feature set when used with Elastix. Beware of the rubber key's on the Aastra's. They don't bug me too much, but some people don't like that they can't dial a phone number crazy fast and blind folded like you can on a Cisco or Polycom. Cisco's and Polycom's win the sound and speakerphone categories, but only slightly. The Snom was so-so.

3. WinMaster

thank you very much for your reply.
    I will look at the choices and read more about the door opener and come back to you with question # 4 :blush: