New Elastix Deployment, first timer, need phones..

Mathiau

Hello everyone!

Well after alot of research and checking on various PBX systems, someone mentioned Elastix and kind of got me hooked on it.

Now, we have decided to go the Elastix route for a new office location, to start we are going to need:

23 wired phones
2 conference room systems
2 cordless phones
1 Secretary phone, with some kind of add-on base for easily transferring calls. (something like the Polycom IP670)

So my question was what phones should i be ordering, i would prefer something that just works really, i was looking at polycom, but some people say they have issues with 330's, 320's and 501's... is this still a current issue? The person who showed me Elastix's said they were using Polycom cause they arent as expensive as other companies.

I really dont want to order phones that could give me troubles and i have to manually edit config files to get them to pick up?

So any help for this new person to make his life easier would be very very appreciated!

Also, i assume the phones i order all need to be SIP based?

bustosjuan

Lets see if I can give you a little overview until one expert come.
For the phones, I don't really now anything about SIP/IAX "Hard" phones (x-lite softphone works great), but I've seen working ATA interfaces connecting VoIP to analog phones (check this from digium's home page http://www.digiumcards.com/audiocodes_M ... apter.html , there are other ATAs for more lines but this is only for "figuring out" purposes), so you can just plug the existing phones to the ATAs and then just work with conventional network cables.
It depends on what kind of architecture you are willing to work if there are going to be SIP or IAX.
For conference rooms you can create them with FreePBX, included in the Elastix Suite.
For the secretary phone you can just use the Flash Operator Panel included also in the Elastix suite (it works like a charm).
And finally the cordless phones... I need more details... if it's a standard cordless phone, attach the base to the ATA, if it's a wireless phone maybe you need to implement some sip/iax client to a smartphone and use internet instead of the cellphone network (maybe it's useless because your costs will be way higher)... anyway tell us more.
I strongly recommend you to read Elastix Without Tears, lot of this information is explained there.
I hope this helped you a little bit to figure out your solution.

Regards

Patrick_elx

You will find in this forum a lot of advices on endpoints.

Aastra, Linksys, Polycom, Cisco are frequently quoted as being top of the line (sometimes for reliability but not really setup friendly). Each of these phones have caveats and will need some learning to be able to use them to their full possibilities. Check on http://www.voip-info.org for some good feedback on each model.

You will find other brands, usually cheaper and great for home users or to play with, but maybe not that user proof against daily abuses.

Something you want to decide now is the use of POE or not.
It will cost you some money to buy a POE switch, but you will save on power supply and declutter the wiring around desks.

For my needs, if I can't afford the more reliable phones new, I prefer to buy them used on eBay than switching to cheaper alternative that will make me waste time in constant service in the next months or years. Even older Cisco 7912 or 7960 are still great and will cost between $30 and $80 on the used market (just be aware that they use an older POE Cisco standard. But a used POE Cisco switch cost $100).

For your conference phones, you can buy some Polycom SIP Soundstation, but you can also buy an older analog model with a cheap FXS to SIP box for less.

rejil.rajan

Hi

I have been using Polycom for many years but never faced any issues with Elastix.

23 wired phones - IP 330 or IP 550
2 conference room systems - Polycom IP 7000
2 cordless phones - If you have wireless would suggest the Nokia mobiles are the best which support Wifi and SIP
1 Secretary phone, with some kind of add-on base for easily transferring calls. (something like the Polycom IP670) - IP 650

ramoncio

Polycoms work great, as rejil.rajan tells you. I have used some different models for years without any problem. Well, actually I have never tried the elastix web gui provisioning tool with them, but they are reported to be supported.
If you already have analog phones, maybe you could consider getting some ATA with fxs ports, or internal cards, but if your budget admits it or you don't have the analog phones you'd much better get some ip phones. They have more features than analog phones. Many of them, for example, have up to 6 lines that you can register in different servers/providers for failover purposes or to have more than one extension registered on the phone.
Whatever brand you get, make sure they support TFTP/FTP auto provisioning, this will save you much work.

raj

Aastra 57i would be great choice.

Mathiau

Lots of great info, i love this site!..lol

i do want to use soley IP phones, we dont have any previous phones, so everything is being bought new, since we saved on the software, also we have a server already, the majority of the cost is being spent on phones (i figure in the $5k range or less) Of course keeping cost down when possible.

We are using PoE, already ordered 2 x 24port Dell PoE's for the system.

Good to know rejil.rajan, since this is a new deployment and first time for me, i want as few issues as possible, since this task was semi dumped on me, but i choose to taking it on, thinking it cant be too complex, as said i want things to go as smooth as possible, luckily i do have 2 guys in another office who have some Elastix experience.

Nice to know about the TFTP/FTP auto provisioning, i guess this just means instead of me having to manually upload configs to each individual phone i can do it all from the PBX server...

raj

Rejil.rajan kya main aapko personally contact kar sakta hu? mujhe help chahiye Elastix ke kuchh specific configuration ke liye, agar aapke koi charges hai to main pay karunga. if yes mujhe bataiye main aapko kal afternoon India time se call karunga. agar aap jawab denge to.

Mathiau

raj said:
Rejil.rajan kya main aapko personally contact kar sakta hu? mujhe help chahiye Elastix ke kuchh specific configuration ke liye, agar aapke koi charges hai to main pay karunga. if yes mujhe bataiye main aapko kal afternoon India time se call karunga. agar aap jawab denge to.

translation?..lol

Mathiau

I do notice not all phones state if they are PoE or not on voipsupply.com, should i assume they are PoE (Polycom 321, Aastra 57i CT) or is it cause some are PoE some are using old fashioned power adapters?

after checking both of the above are PoE, but just want to check.

speedy3k

I like the aastra phones myself and with the aastra scripts, provisioning them is very easy!

tbooth

i have had great success with Snom (all models)

Mathiau

Got all of the phones in, will list the models tomorrow, format our server and start hooking things up and cross my fingers!

rejil.rajan

Hi Raj

You can

rejil.rajan

Hi Mathiau

All the best, hope things are going smoothly for you

Mathiau

they seem to be good, the phones turn on, the server is installed, but i went, added extensions, then went to the endpoint configuration, assigned the phones to extensions, but if i try to call one, nothing happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti