New Dell t105 Funny install issues 1.5.2 Mar 31

Discussion in 'General' started by donhwyo, May 7, 2009.

1. donhwyo

Well I bought a nice new Dell T105 to upgrade some of my old temporary testing stuff. Tried the 64 bit but it seems the cd can't be found after installing the nv driver. Can't find cdrom:ks.cfg. Not really that big a deal as I really don't need 64 bit anyway. I did redownload and burn at the slowest on a different burner just in case.

Ok on to 32 bit. Installs fine and did some testing. Go to add an extension and it looks good. Hit submit and it is not added. Same with unembeded version. Ok maybe yum update will fix it. No completed fine but same thing. Updated freepbx same thing. Redownload reburn and reinstall, same thing. I also tried restoring from a backup and no extensions get created.

What am I missing. Probably something stupid. Its a basic box no raid, 4gigs, 2 hdd, dvd, and opteron 2.4.

Thanks,
    Don

PS: What would be the best way to move my current 1.3 to the new 1.5 box. Should the backup restore work?

2. dicko

I had a similar issue, in my case ( a via C7 fanless thingy) the lack of the usbstorage module in the syslinux kernel was the problem, I reported the problem and a suggested solution to the beta test list but apparently it was not considered important enough for inclusion, if you press enter where you hang up looking for the kickstart file I believe there will be a drop down list presented of possible drivers for your cdrom, and the process will continue if you can find a working one, but in the absense of the kickstart file there was a lot of fixing to do (related to turning off selinux, and booting a non XEN kernel etc.). My work around for these C7 boxes was to build a system on good old fashioned hardware that Elastix/Centos recognises, and image it with mondoarchive, the mondo kernel generated DOES include the usbstorage driver and then adjust the network to suit the new hardware.

3. donhwyo

Thanks for the reply. If I can find my usb cd I will try that too. It is an sata dvd so it looks like there is a problem there too. I also tried to do an ftp install. That keeps trying to go to ftp://myip//elastix. Of course there is no such place with // in front of elastix. WTF is that. I guess I will have to use the old system till it dies then panic.

I am not sure it isn't some dell kludge breaking things as I see some other issues with this box. No wonder they are on sale.

Guess we need to do more beta testing.

Don

4. dicko

Can you set the sata to IDE compatability or some such in the bios?

5. donhwyo

No it is a pos bois. I actually hate dell for that reason but I figured this is such a simple system how hard could it be.

Don

6. donhwyo

Ok it is installing now. I had to do an http install. You need another working web server of your choice.

1. Create a directory at the web root. I called it pub
    2. Copy the cd to the pub folder
    3. Modify the ks.cfg file. I actually used the ks_advanced.ks to install raid.
    Comment out #Use CDROM installation media
    #cdrom
    You could try putting in http or something to save a few questions. And maybe add other options if you do this a lot.http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

Then start from disk that fails. Type at the first prompt
    Code:
    linux ks=http://yourserver/pub/ks.cfg
    . It will go on and ask the usual questions and one about install type. Choose http and give your info. Over a gig lan it goes about as fast as the cd. Last time I did one this way was over a slow (by todays standards) internet connection and it took over a day. Swore I would never do it again. Made a liar out of me.

The install finished and looks fine. Still can't add extensions though. Must be operator head space. Will start a new thread for that.

Don

Silly code tags made a mess of that.

PS: After yum update to the latest beta kernel and sangoma drivers I can add extension again. Maybe that is where the extension issue was.

7. dicko

A resourceful workaround indeed!

It's as shame we will loose many to PIAF (not that I have anything derogatory to say about them, a fine distro! ) where this hardware is endorsed and fully supported. I hope 1.6 will be less painful and more aware of 2009 type hardware. I also hope 1.5.3 will have a few of the residual "beta-ness" eradicated, because right now a simple "yum update" has apparently hosed many a system. We all need to be more proactive for that one and the Beta Guys more "Present" here in the trenches.
    Just my 2cents.

Dick

8. donhwyo

I tried PIAF 64 bit and had the same problem. I think it may be a Dell kluge of some kind. They have some management disk to install Redhat and Suse. It handles windoz too. I hate that kind of crap. Why did I buy this dell box anyway, oh ya it was cheap.

I like some of the ideas in PIAF but I don't like the user interface. I guess if I started there I might say the same about Elastix. We can apply a lot of what they are doing if we try. I do like the way asterisk and other things get recompiled instead of an rpm upgrade but if you have problems look out. Most people don't want to see a command line anymore much less watch a compiler run and spew out errors and unintelligible code.

I agree that the beta phase of 1.5 should have been longer. It's almost ready now. But I am guilty of not testing too. Its hard to win at that game, people want it quick and perfect. Until you get enough testers you can't be sure. I usually push the envelope and play with bleeding edge stuff but not in a production machine. There were many major changes to 1.5 and it shows up a little at a time.

Don