Netscreen 5GT firewall issue

Discussion in 'General' started by mike.strock, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mike.strock

I've set up an Elastix box for my company. Working pretty well. One feature I wanted to utilize was picking my phone up from my desk and plugging it in at home and having the same features at home that I had in the office.

I exposed the static IP through the firewall for SIP and TFTP and for VOIP.

I am able to connect to the phone system from my home connection, and it works for about 5 minutes. After five minutes, the system at work shows me as logged in, but when I dial, I don't hear anything when it connects to the remote (internal) user and when I call an extension and leave a voicemail, nothing is sent to the voicemail system, so it isn't actually receiving data.

It does initially work, but I can't figure out what I've done wrong.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Mike Strock

2. Patrick_elx

You will find a lot of ideas online.
    I have not experimented yet with a remote extension but here's what I remember reading on different forum on this issue.

- check the nat=yes on your extension config, look at the qualify also.
    - reduce the registration time on your phone to 60s (faulty nating on a lot of consumer firewall that will close the connection if not often activated)

Also on your server look at the SIP debug ('asterisk -vvvvvvvvvr' then 'sip set debug on')
    Use Wireshark on your remote LAN to see what's happening with your phone frames

Hope this will lead you in the right direction

3. mike.strock

Thanks. It's definitely a timeout issue. Because if I use the extension at least once a minute, it works just fine. If I let the extension sit for more than 2.5 minutes, it performs the way I describe.

I have nat=yes in my extension config. I'll try the sip set debug on .

Thanks!

Mike.