netconfig or setup doe's not work on elastix 1.5.2

Discussion in 'General' started by pti2000, Aug 29, 2009.

1. pti2000

Have any one realize that on Elastix 1.5.2 that netconfig or setup dont get you to networking setting, so I can't change my setting from the command line, is there some thing am missing?

2. dicko

from bash (the command line) feel free to edit the

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth* files
    and
    /etc/resolv.conf

if you want a curses based tui then

yum -y install system-config-network-tui

3. pti2000

Sounds good but I made the mistake off putting a static Ip in the server that did not take so now when I log in to root It shows me to log into http://<your-ip-here> I dont see the static Ip that was entered - off course I did it from the Elastic GUI. Now is there any way that I can from the command line force the system to restart and just pull DHCP? Or and how can I install and added NIC card to the system. Then I would be able to do yum -y install system-config-network-tui, as you said. am also Not too clear on how to edit the files you sojested, as I cant get to the box vie ssh.

4. dicko

Then you are stuck with my first solution.

vi /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

(if you only have one NIC.)

and change BOOTPROTO= to dhcp

vi is available as an editor in Elastix, you will probably have to do a little research as to how to use it .

or you could learn how to use ifconfig to set it up that way.

5. pti2000

Thanks again, I'll give it a shot and let you Know how it goes.

6. rejil.rajan

You can use neat-tui to configure the network

7. pti2000

Hey dicko you did it again success :cheer: I got it thanks. I just used ifconfig that works for me, am still trying to figure out. vi editor

Now am moving from pbx in a flash to elastix,So this server that am setting up is to move my cisco phone from the PIAF server to this new elastix server. Is there a easy way to move the cisco phones and the main IVR greeting to Elastix, such as just copying a file? or do I have to configer this my self? can you give me some direction on this

8. dicko

Both PIAF and Elastix are based on FreePBX, if the version of FreePBX on both old and new are close enough you should be able to do a backup from the PIAF box and a restore into Elastix (unembedded FreePBX) (copy the backup file from /var/lib/asterisk/backups/<dir_name> to a similar directory on Elastix.)Backup the new box first of course, and be careful what you restore, in your case maybe just the system recordings and the Voicemail, theoretically if they are identical versions (which they likely would be if you are rigorous in your module update discipline) maybe go for the whole shebang and save your self a whole SL of effort, I suggest you you do a full image of the new box (mondoarchive perhaps) first in case you hose anything non-trivial. Then add any Elastix Specific value addons like fax and email, crm and IM . . .

You might need to tidy up a few strings in /etc/asterisk/*.conf s like email return addresses etc. but otherwise IWFM

If the cisco's are tftp provisioned then probably you need your old /tftpboot directory copied over also. just change any IP's of the various servers provisioned with sed if necessary

The export/import abilities of bulk-extensions and bulk-dids (FreePBX add-on modules) can also save you time if you care for a more cautious approach

(these two modules are now in FreePBX 2.6 beta, as are a LOT of other improvements. As to 2.6beta, I personally have no reservations about using it after testing it a few days)

9. Mathiau

vi /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

ran this and vi says [NEW FILE] at the end and the screen shows nothing

10. dicko

Then you don't have a discovered eth0 interface

11. Mathiau

it shows it trying to assign an IP to eth0, seems sometimes it fails, other times it works (yes, i tested with different cables)

i just did ifconfig eth0 10.0.1.23 UP and i can connect to the GUI

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ has the ifcnfg-eth0 but it is empty

but
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/network-scripts has the ifcnfg-eth0 and eth1 files there with the info in them

# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    DHCPCLASS=
    HWADDR=00:0F:1F:64:18:8F
    ONBOOT=yes

but eth1 had onboot no and no bootproto

so added those and i now have 2 working nics!

12. eiger3970

I typed in the /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 and if takes my monitor to a blan screen with purple hyphens along the left margin. I type in further bash commands and it doesn't respond. Only a reboot clears this issue and doesn't help set a static IP?

13. dicko

stick the cd in the drive,

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt

rpm -Uhv /mnt/Elastix/system-config-network-tui-1.3.99.12-1.el5.noarch.rpm

(that was 1.6 but I assume it will work in 1.5 if with

rpm -Uhv /mnt/Elastix/system-config-network-tui<press the tab key><press enter>

when done then

system-config-network-tui ( or setup and then the network thing) should work