Need some tips to figure out why calls are cutting

Discussion in 'General' started by JohnyBeGood, Nov 6, 2008.

1. JohnyBeGood

Hi all,

I'm looking for some tips to help me narrow down my issue.
    The problem is when talking to someone, randomly it starts to cut out for like 1 second at random times. Other person on the line is experiencing same issue. Let me add that person who I was talking has Verizon Landline.

It comes to the the point that I have to hangup and use my cell to finish the conversation.

I have Linksys SPA-3102 connected to Elastix v1.2.1-4.
    All the time I thought its the VOIP provider but last night I switched from one to the other and same thing started happening. Then I though its my ISP (Comcast) but then tonight I thought I would bypass Elastix and only use Linksys SPA-3102 with my VOIP provider settings and to my surprise I had 35 minutes conversation without a single cut out.

I remember reading somewhere that this type of problem usually happens when ports aren't forwarded properly and pockets that are sent never receive its destination and that's why there's random silence, but in my case all UDP ports from 10000-20000 and 5060-5060 are open.

Please share your experience or if you have any tips.

Thanks!

2. jgutierrez

Well with one SIP provider I experienced a related problem, I was on a call, but suddendly I lost audio, I wasn't able to hear the other person, but the other was able to hear me.

In that case I did two things:

1. Expand the rtp range, I leave it from 8000 up tp 40000
    2. Set up for each phone a specific range for rtp
    for example phone 1 will use rtp from 8000 up to 8200
    phone 2 will use rtp from 8300 up to 8500
    and so on...

I tried that, and it worked very well, I didn't had any more troubles..

3. JohnyBeGood

Thanks for the reply!

In my case its happening randomly. Its cutting both mine and other person, they can't understand me because its cutting my words and vice-versa.
    As far as ports I have this range open 10000-20000 which is more then enough.

4. jgutierrez

oh, in that case, it is a network issue, check your bandwidth, some times there are packages lost...

5. JohnyBeGood

Bandwidth is fine. Nothing is being used at the time of a call.
    Any idea how to check if pockets are going to the "correct" destination?
    But then how do I check if they're coming back to my box from provider?