Need REAL clustering, not this DRBD/HA nonsense...

Discussion in 'General' started by izrunas, Mar 5, 2009.

1. izrunas

Ok, so I have put together a few DRBD/HA installs of Asterisk-- very painful to manage and just not worth the nonsense (IMHO)

I am looking for REAL clustering... as in putting two or more Elastix boxes behind a hardware load balancer and have the reasonably EASY option of adding more boxes as needed.

Anyone know of a good solution or a good tutorial for using CentOS clustering with Elastix? More than willing to offer a reasonable bounty for this and make the final results available to the community. (This would give Elastix a SUBSTANTIAL advantage over other open source Asterisk-based systems)

Thanks much!

2. ramoncio

Have a look at some LVM tutorials.
    A while ago I found a good tutorial for Centos LVM clustering, I think it was in the CentOS wiki or forums.
    If I find it I'll paste the address here.

3. izrunas

DUNDi + UnixODBC = Cluster Replacement?

I've seen some articles making reference to the idea that a "real" Asterisk cluster is really a collection of independent servers with UnixODBC providing a common database communication abstraction layer that allows each Asterisk box to communicate with the "cluster" database (thus sharing all data).

Another article suggests using "Realtime" to write conf files as flat-files to the database and thus have them commonly across all servers.

DUNDi provides the info needed to know "where" info is that is needed by a given server in the cluster.

Voicemail just needs to be distributed via an IMAP/ODBC method to prevent having a single point of failure and to allow universal access to it as well.

All of this looks like a great start, but I'm not seeing how to deal with the PSTN interfacing... Nor am I seeing enough specifics to make the rest of it work either...