Need help with a data center install OS 5.1 v 5.2

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkosJal, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MarkosJal

Hello,

I think I have a bit of a catch 22 happening here and I need some help. Perhaps someone here knows something that I do not.

I will be installing Elastix, which does not install on top of Cent OS 5.2 . It requires 5.1 to install. Installation fails with CentOS 5.2

Please note that this program DOES come with CentOS5.1 , however I will be doing a remote install where I have no physical access to the machine. The data center can do a base install of CentOS 5.1 (no YUM updates)

Why I need access to full repositories ( I think) is because I can not Yum Update, nor can I install files newer than than Elastix expects to see when it installs. From the base installation that the data center will do, I need to install xen and keep the virtual machin(s) at 5.1 . Only then can I install elastix on the virtual machine.

Only after the install of elastix can CentOS be updated to 5.2

I see that it appears that the CentOS repositories do not list files for centOS 5.1

Why are those Older versions not maintained , in this case at least 5.1 (by the folks at elastix???) in order to ensure that we do not have this problem?

When I xen CentOS 5.1 will it actually use the the latest, 5.2 core on the virtual machines?

ALso since this is xen, is it possible to install the xen virtual machine kernel (centOS 5.1) on top of the cent OS 5.2 host machine? This may be the solution, however it seems somewhat complex. I think it would be better to leave it all at Cent OS 5.1 so that future installations on future virtual machines are not a problem.

If a yum update is performed on a centOS 5.1 virtial machine will that then take just that virtual Machine to 5.2 successfully, or will it fail because the virtual machines are running on top of a "xenned" CentOS 5.1?

Any advice appreciated, because under the present circumstances, I can not even get 5.1 to walk through it all without Cent OS 5.1 to install!

Mark

2. rafael

The problem between CentOS 5.1 and 5.2 has to the with the kernel version not being compatible. You could install CentOS 5.1 and exlude the kernel update from you yum repositories as the Elastix distro does. Then it should be safe to update to CentOS5.2.

To exclude the Kernel you should add the following line on each of the CentOs repos except on the Elastix one:

On /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo add the following under each repo:
    Code:
    exclude=kernel*