need help to reduce jitter

Discussion in 'General' started by howlym, Sep 24, 2008.

1. howlym

I almost want to pull my hair out.....

I have a cisco 1760 router with a wic-1enet in slot1, a cisco 2950g-48-ei switch connect together. I implemented 2 vlans on the switch, vlan1 for data, vlan2 for voice. Also, I implemented NBAR Qos policies on the router, and I am sure it works good because when I make calls to the landline phone, I can tell from the monitor panel of cisco SDM, it did show the router reserves bandwidth for rtp traffic. Everything seems good except when I was trying to download a big file, I can hear jitter sound in the landline phone.

Calls between extensions in the same switch environment are fine. Even though, the landline side hear the jitter sound when I was downloading, my side is clear.

Does anyone have idea?

Thanks.

2. Telco

First of all for those who don't understand jitter

Jitter is a typical problem of the connectionless networks or packet switched networks. Due to the information is divided into packets each packet can travel by a different path from the emitter to the receiver.

Jitter is technically the measure of the variability over time of the latency across a network

Real time communications (for example VoIP) usually have quality problems due to this effect. In general, it is a problem in slow-speed links or with congestion. It is hoped that the increase of QoS (quality of the service) mechanisms like priority buffers, bandwidth reservation or high-speed connections (100Mb Ethernet, E3/T3, SDH) can reduce jitter problem in the future although it will keep on being a problem for a long time.

Now that school is out, howlym, try this:

Use jitter buffers. A jitter buffer is basically to assign a small buffer to receive the packets and give it to the receiver with a small delay. If some packet is not in the buffer (it is lost or it has still not arrived) when it is necessary it is not taking into account. Usually in IP telephones (hardware and software) buffer lengths can be modified. If jitter buffer is increased turns out in less packet loss but more delay. A reduction turns out in less delay but more packet loss.

-T

3. itmanager

Hi ,
    I have found your mail ID in Opensource dialer Forum (elastix), Now i need a help , i have successfully installed the software , also callcenter module loaded.

Please i have attached Screen shot of the Elastix Use in my Server.
    No Active calls Mentions in Agent Screen

Now , i don't know how to use this callcenter module.
    1.I have created agent user and sip account and extension number ,also tested calls routing from my softphone.
    2.But now whenever i login to agent console call get ring and tell us to enter agent number or password,no issue.
    3.After these happen no calls shows to ring ,i thing lead format is wrong.
    4.Is that everything needs to work fine do we need to create form (queues,retries,form layout)
    5.i want to check or test the call routing form lead, if you dont mind give me the step by step instruction with lead creation for successful call routing and need all agents use this.
    6.If everything fails can you help me to sort out all the issues by remote login from my server.

I have downloaded and used all the pdf documents also "elastix without tears"

Its very Urgent Help me!!
    could you please send me sample lead model of outgoing campaign in call center module.calls are inactive but campaign is active also agents are active

SEND ME SAMPLE OR TEST LEADS FOR OUTBOUND PROCESS

Thanks & Regards
    MGR

--
    Cheers
    K.S.Sampath Kumar

4. howlym

Thanks, Telco,

I will try your suggestion later, I am waiting my new T1 service, hope it will help.

5. howlym

hi, itmanager,

I am a newbie of elastix, I dont think I can give your a good advice, you may turn to telco for help or goto the official irc ask for instant help.

6. rafael

itmanager,

Please ask your question on the callcenter forum. Help us keep the forums organice.

Regards,

Rafael