Need help! How to contact the outside world?

Discussion in 'General' started by Drstrangelove, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Drstrangelove

Can any of you help me?

I can make intern-calls now its nice. But I want to take it the next-level... I want to make extern-calls. How I must configure the trunks?
    I've rode Elastix Without Tears but it don't get it. Its confusing because I dont use a VOIP-Provider. I want to connect via ISDN.

I dont have a VOIP-provider
    I want to connect to the outside-world via ISDN
    I use KPN Telecom its a Dutch Internet and PSTN provider

Thanks alot folks!:lol:

Port 1: TE-mode BRI S/T interface line (for phone lines)
    -> Protocol: DSS1 (Euro ISDN)
    -> childcnt: 2
    --------

2. dwells

You really need to ABSORB, not just read through Elastix without Tears. Your answers are posted through the forum, and in the documentation provided... Elastix without Tears (EwoT)

Read Chapters 8, 9.3 and 14, from that doco. I think that's all the major areas. It covers POTS(PSTN) and ISDN as the concepts are the same (only different) depending...

There are also MANY threads covering this simple setup. Use search.

3. Drstrangelove

Okay thanks!

But can you please give me a hint where i can find it on this forum.

I used the search-engine.. but no result.

4. Drstrangelove

I really dont understand... There is a difference between PSTN and ISDN.ISDN goes over Ethernet. I don't have a VoIP-provider and no PSTN, only ISDN-line so i don't understand how i must configure this.

5. jmbaruk

I am having the same problem configuring TE110P T1/E1 as my isdn line behind a isnd modem but all i get from dahdi tool is a status which keeps changing from to BLU/REC to REC and from the hardware detection interface all the boxes are indicated as in use,

any ideas where i can proceed from here because i had all along thought if i had an isdn line it would be configured thru msisdn

Please help

6. Bob

Bob

PSTN is the standard POTS lines that most residential and small business use. It is an analog line. Its exact specifications differ from country to country, but the general architecture is the same. The Card required to connect PSTN to Elastix is a TDM400 or TDM410 from Digium, or similar from other manuafacturers such as Sangoma. Alternatively you can look at an external PTSN gateway (usually connects via USB or SIP) which means you don't have to have a card in the machine.

ISDN is a digital line, available in Primary Rate (usually comes in 10/20/30 channels for E1 or 24 channels for T1) or Basic Rate (usually 2 Channels). ISDN traditionally was provided over copper wires, with a termination unit (NTU), but over the last few years, most carriers have been moving towards providing ISDN products via a IAD connecting back to the exchange via SHDSL. Just like the traditional system, the connection / protocols /signalling from the IAD is the same. the TE122 card and similar models from Digium and other manufacturers are required for a connection to ISDN. The lead out of the ISDN provided by your carrier is not an Ethernet line, and defintely should not be plugged into your Ethernet card. There is no commonality between the two products except they both use RJ45 plugs and cable. Again, if you don't want to go for a card, then companies like XORCOM and similar product external Gateway products that connect via USB or SIP)

Regards

Bob

7. Bob

Bob

You have a TE110P card which is a Primary Rate Card for E1 (10/20/30 Channels) or T1 (24 Channels). I state that as I am confused about the rest of your setup.

From what I can gather, you have an ISDN line, but you dont state what type. Further more you appear to say that you have an ISDN Modem. Generally you have the ISDN modem as a termination point, e.g. you connected to the ISDN modem via Ethernet and access the Internet, and some have a couple of PSTN connections to allow you to plug phones in (Sharing Internet and Telephone). Generally these modems do not have ISDN back out, but I don't know for sure as each country & carrier has its own setups.

What confuses me is that you are talking about MISDN, and generally this is only required for ISDN Basic Rate Cards. Cards like the TE110 are detected by the Hardware Detection in Elastix, connect your ISDN line and away you go.

Now after taking a thousand guesses of how you are setup, should you have the TE110 connected to the Primary Rate ISDN, card has been detected and you are getting a BLU/REC, I would check that the cable is correct. If you have used a straight through Cable, you may need an ISDN Xover cable (not the same as an Ethernet Xover cable)......

Regards

Bob

8. jmbaruk

ISDN ASSISTANCE NEEDED....

Hi Bob,thanks for the clarification about the cards am very grateful for that...
    Am sorry i didnot give my setup as it is
    this is my setup
    Am setting up an Elastix VOIP server for our company, we have more than 120 extensions thats why we decided to have ISDN line to avoid congestion,
    Am setting it up in Kenya(we use UK as the default loadzones)
    From where the ISDN is terminated i have crimped a cable using the ISDN PRI standard crimping i.e. (1,2,4,5) this cable is then terminated to a termination unit which communicates with the Exchange very fine from the from the status signals i can see from it,them i have another factory made straight through cable which connects the termination unit to the Digium TE110P(I have tried with several straight through cables), now here is where the problem begins,the status signal at the back of the card blinks red for some time the starts to blink green with red,
    I then log in to my server and notice after plugging in the card it kills my asterisk so i used the Web interface and i user the Hardware Detection module to detect my card which before i run the tool lists 31 channels all in grey and unknown status, so i tick Replace file chan_dahdi.conf, with that done I do an amportal restart and my asterisk comes back on and now the problem from the Web interface is that all the channels are indicated as in use and the status is RECOVERING, and from the bash when i use DAHDI tool the status is BLUE/RECOVERING and then it changes to RECOVERING n then to a RED n then starts all over again,and there is no connection at all. I even installed Elastix to another PC and took it to another Branch where we have a working ISDN line but on a Nortel PABX i unplug the cable which is also a straight through cable and connect it to the card and the same situation is the same as above and am completely stuck with no way ahead considering am the one who floated the idea of Elastix to the company and they are waiting to see the results, however i have done similar Elastix deployments in two of our branches but i use the POTS and SPA 400 this is the first time am deploying using ISDN and I would be very grateful for any assistance accorded and also if not too much how to configure the trunks in ISDN and the routes or somewhere i can read all about this. Please help

Regards
    Jmbaruk

9. Bob

Bob

Re:ISDN ASSISTANCE NEEDED....

Jmbaruk,

Sorry, I have to make this quick, as I have to step out...

First of all, make up a ISDN Loopback plug if you haven't got one already.
    On a RJ45 Plug run a wire from pin 1 to pin 4 and a wire from pin 2 to pin 5.

Plug this into the back of the TE110P and look for a green light. You may need to a basic Hardware Detection (including ticking replace Chan_dahdi), just in case the configs are messed up. At this point you should have a green light, if you haven't then there are other issues (e.g. Card fault, Hardware compatibility)

Other areas to check if you don't get a green light

1) The Card is capable of T1 or E1 configuration. If I remember, the jumper should be on for E1 configuration.....check this...

2) Go into Dahdi_tool or Zttool - I am not sure what version you are running, and check for missed IRQ's. If these are steadily increasing, then you have an issue with the Interrupts. If it is an issue like this have a look at http://www.elastixconnection.com/index. ... &Itemid=77, it does apply to the Te110 as well.

Regards
    Bob

10. jmbaruk

hi bob,
    thanks for the guidance i made an ISDN loopback plug and tested it and am so elated the alarm has gone to OK,now i think i have to talk to my telcom provider to get the parameters needed but the problem is am very new to ISDN and i dont know what to ask and what is compatible with elastix or asterisk maybe if you would help me in this i would be very grateful and also if you would assist me with a link or somewhere i can read about setting up the trunks because i dont have an idea on how to do this. i have googled and have not come accross a consistent guide on how to setup the trunks and the incomind and outgoing routes. please assist where you can

11. Bob

Bob

Great to hear,

You sound elated.....

So the best part here is that we have eliminated a variable which now makes it easier, which is always the correct way when you have several parts that could be at fault.

A toolkit when doing this sort of stuff is always the following

1) ISDN Loop back
    2) ISDN X Over cable
    3) Straight through Cable

So your next step is to check whether you need a Xover Cable or a Straight Through cable. If you plug a X over cable in and it gives you a RED Light, but the straight through gives you a Blue/Rec etc, then you know the straight through is the most likely one or vice versa. (Note these are not exact rules as other things come into play....but 90% of the time the rule works)

So if you have a Blue/Rec, the next areas to check are by checking are the config /etc/dahdi/system.conf and be concentrating on areas of system clock, CRC, basically that whole line and the only way to really be sure is speaking to your Carrier as you have already decided to do. It is one more variable that you can eliminate or be sure of.

Let us know how you go...

Regards
    Bob

12. jmbaruk

thanks again for your help
    i had requested if you could assist me with some reading material on how to setup the isdn trunks and i coulod be very happy if i had that...
    about the card i used a straight thru cable to connect since ISDN Xover gave a constant RED alarm when i use it....am in the process of talking to my carrier and see the help i could get but they still seem confused i think am the first one to call with the problem of this nature, i hopwe they will give me the correct parameters
    Assist me on the issue of seeting up trunks and i will be very grateful

13. Bob

Bob

There is going to be very little in terms of setting up an ISDN trunk as they are so varied.

However the following documents are a coverall, that you can start with. Just remember that you are running Dahdi, but the zaptel information is generally the same. Likewise where it talks about Zapata.conf, you will find across chan_dahdi.conf, and dahdi-channels.conf.

http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/pri_zaptel.html

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+PRI

But the main things you should be asking your carrier is

Do you provide the clock?? (generally all carriers provide the clock signal
    Do I require CRC set?
    What Line Encoding should I be using (B8ZS / AMI / HDB3)
    What Framing should I be using. (CCS / CAS / ESF)

Once you have that information, you should have enougn info to start building your config in conjunction with the articles above

Regards

Bob

14. jmbaruk

Hi Bob, Thanks for the guide on the ISDN PRI issue, i was able to get the required info from the carrier and now the alarms status has changed to OK, and this is really something and it is quite a big step taken. I also read the tutorial you had suggested i go through on how to create ISDN trunks and outbound routes but it is not working, every time i try calling out i get the all circuits are busy message and no call goes through, i have tried to go through the log in from the asterisk CLI, but i have not yet come up with a solution...Please assist me where you can because i believe that the only part remaining is the trunk creation and outbound routes creation which i have tried to go through tutorials but am not yet successful

15. Bob

Bob

JMBaruk,

Sorry, I should have been a lot clearer....

The links provided were mainly to get the ISDN card online, which is the first step and as you said it is really something to finally get rid of the issue that you were having as you could not move forward until you got that working.

The first recommendation, if you haven't already is to take a copy of /etc/dahdi/system.conf. These settings are critical for your card, and some of what you are about to do will overwrite this file.

Now, use the Elastix Hardware detection, placing a tick on only replace chan-dahdi.conf
    Basically this writes a standard config to this file, it will however also replace the /etc/dahdi/system.conf, so after the hardware detection, you will need to re-correct the /etc/dahdi/system.conf back to your settings that have backed up.

Now reboot the system so that this configuration takes hold.

These couple of steps above, in many cases will provide a functioning trunk via the ISDN. the ZAP G0 trunk (automatically setup) in your Freepbx setup will use the ISDN card (unless you have other comms cards in the system.

On your PBX setup an extension, and have an outbound route (matching . (thats a full stop - meaning match everuthing)) using ZAP/G0. Try making a call and see what happens...

Should you still have issues, My next recommendation is take a copy of the following files (mainly so you put them back to default after each test). These are

/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf
    /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf

chan_dahdi contains global parameters for the dahdi channel
    dahdi-channels contains parameters for the particular dahdi channel

I believe the next part, you are going to have to look (I think it will be in the dahdi-channels.conf)

switchtype=euroisdn
    signalling=pri_cpe

You may need to find out what settings you need to use if the common ones do not. Before we go much deeper, report back on what you have going after the changes suggested

Bob

16. jmbaruk

hi Bob,
    Sorry for getting out of topic with this question i had posted it it in the cards area but i have not got a reply yet, apart from the ISDN card am having am trying also to learn more about Elastix as i do the installation, so i have two extra cards, I have Atcom AX1600P (to be used together with the ISDN Card) and ana extra Atcom AX400P card(for testing purposes), the problem is that both cards are not detected by Elastix, I have searched all over internet for a solution and i have not found any so far, the system detects the cards when i run the command lspci -vv, but Elastix does not detect them,
    I have even tried plugging them one card alone but no change, i have tried following the guide at Atcom website even though it is so bent on Trixbox but still i have not got anywhere with that, I read from another post http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=32540#33796 that the AX400P is supposed to be detected automatically by Elastix but that is not the case with mine.. Would you have any other solutions in mind to help me figure out on how to do this because it is like i have got to the end of anything i can think of

Regards Jmbaruk

17. Bob

Bob

JMBaruk,

Having not done anything with these cards, I can't really give you much to go on. I have test systems here with Sangomas E1 Cards, Digium E1 and PSTN Cards, one OPENVox BRI Card and Linksys SPA,s, but no Atcom cards.

However, I have been lightly following the AX issues, which Alex (developer) has been following up on.

http://lists.elastix.org/pipermail/deve ... 00226.html

It won't mean much, but looking at the date, any changes are probably not in the 1.5-2 release, but may be in the 1.6beta releases (taking a huge guess here).

http://www.openippbx.org/index.php?titl ... tall_guide

Not sure if you have seen the above link which refers to 1.5 Elastix, but it is pretty open ended.....

Now I will raise some concerns, the TE110P/TE120/TE122P have some issues with combining with other PSTN Cards...It can be done, but the order in how they are installed can help.

Best thing is to get the ISDN Card working first, take copies of the main configuration files (the ones that have been previously discussed).

If you have another spare box, build up a Elastix 1.6beta system and see if the cards are detected separately away from the ISDN system you are trying to get working.

Regards

Bob

18. jmbaruk

hi Bob, thanks on the info about the AX cards, am going through some topics there i see what i can do about the whole issue about the cards... About the E1 line i did as u had instructed but i still cant seem to call out Note: I had deleted the zap trunk g0 so i had to create another one called g1 and a corresponding route, problem is when i try to call a number through it i get the all circuits are busy error and looking at the log i think something is amiss but i cant figure out where...just look at it and assist me where am going wrong....

Code:
    -- Executing [0720215201@from-internal:1] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "user-callerid|SKIPTTL|") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:1] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "AMPUSER=901") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:2] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?report") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:3] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1|Set|REALCALLERIDNUM=901") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:4] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "AMPUSER=901") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:5] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "AMPUSERCIDNAME=Jesse Mwangi") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:6] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?report") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:7] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "AMPUSERCID=901") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:8] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "CALLERID(all)="Jesse Mwangi" <901>") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:9] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "REALCALLERIDNUM=901") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:10] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0|Set|CHANNEL(language)=") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:11] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?continue") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-user-callerid,s,20)
        -- Executing [s@macro-user-callerid:20] NoOp("SIP/901-09819190", "Using CallerID "Jesse Mwangi" <901>") in new stack
        -- Executing [0720215201@from-internal:2] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "_NODEST=") in new stack
        -- Executing [0720215201@from-internal:3] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "record-enable|901|OUT|") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:1] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?check") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-record-enable,s,4)
        -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:4] AGI("SIP/901-09819190", "recordingcheck|20091103-113121|1257237081.3") in new stack
        -- Launched AGI Script /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/recordingcheck
      recordingcheck|20091103-113121|1257237081.3: Outbound recording not enabled
        -- AGI Script recordingcheck completed, returning 0
        -- Executing [s@macro-record-enable:5] MacroExit("SIP/901-09819190", "") in new stack
        -- Executing [0720215201@from-internal:4] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "dialout-trunk|2|0720215201||") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:1] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "DIAL_TRUNK=2") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:2] GosubIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?sub-pincheck|s|1") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:3] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?disabletrunk|1") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:4] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "DIAL_NUMBER=0720215201") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:5] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "DIAL_TRUNK_OPTIONS=tr") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:6] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "OUTBOUND_GROUP=OUT_2") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:7] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?nomax") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-dialout-trunk,s,9)
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:9] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?skipoutcid") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:10] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "DIAL_TRUNK_OPTIONS=") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:11] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "outbound-callerid|2") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:1] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0|SetCallerPres|") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:2] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0|Set|REALCALLERIDNUM=901") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:3] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?normcid") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-outbound-callerid,s,6)
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:6] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "USEROUTCID=") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:7] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "EMERGENCYCID=") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:8] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "TRUNKOUTCID=test") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:9] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?trunkcid") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-outbound-callerid,s,12)
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:12] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1|Set|CALLERID(all)=test") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:13] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?exit") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-outbound-callerid,s,11)
        -- Executing [s@macro-outbound-callerid:11] MacroExit("SIP/901-09819190", "") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:12] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1|AGI|fixlocalprefix") in new stack
        -- Launched AGI Script /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/fixlocalprefix
           >  fixlocalprefix: Using pattern X.
      ==  fixlocalprefix: Dialpattern X. matched. 0720215201 -> 0720215201
        -- AGI Script fixlocalprefix completed, returning 0
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:13] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "OUTNUM=0720215201") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:14] Set("SIP/901-09819190", "custom=DAHDI/g1") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:15] ExecIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0|Set|DIAL_TRUNK_OPTIONS=M(setmusic^)") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:16] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "dialout-trunk-predial-hook|") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk-predial-hook:1] MacroExit("SIP/901-09819190", "") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:17] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?bypass|1") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:18] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "0?customtrunk") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:19] Dial("SIP/901-09819190", "DAHDI/g1/0720215201|300|") in new stack
      == Everyone is busy/congested at this time (1:0/0/1)
        -- Executing [s@macro-dialout-trunk:20] Goto("SIP/901-09819190", "s-CHANUNAVAIL|1") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-dialout-trunk,s-CHANUNAVAIL,1)
        -- Executing [s-CHANUNAVAIL@macro-dialout-trunk:1] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?noreport") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-dialout-trunk,s-CHANUNAVAIL,3)
        -- Executing [s-CHANUNAVAIL@macro-dialout-trunk:3] NoOp("SIP/901-09819190", "TRUNK Dial failed due to CHANUNAVAIL (hangupcause: 0) - failing through to other trunks") in new stack
        -- Executing [0720215201@from-internal:5] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "outisbusy|") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-outisbusy:1] Playback("SIP/901-09819190", "all-circuits-busy-now|noanswer") in new stack
        -- <SIP/901-09819190> Playing 'all-circuits-busy-now' (language 'en')
        -- Executing [s@macro-outisbusy:2] Playback("SIP/901-09819190", "pls-try-call-later|noanswer") in new stack
        -- <SIP/901-09819190> Playing 'pls-try-call-later' (language 'en')
      == Spawn extension (macro-outisbusy, s, 2) exited non-zero on 'SIP/901-09819190' in macro 'outisbusy'
      == Spawn extension (from-internal, 0720215201, 5) exited non-zero on 'SIP/901-09819190'
        -- Executing [h@from-internal:1] Macro("SIP/901-09819190", "hangupcall") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:1] ResetCDR("SIP/901-09819190", "w") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:2] NoCDR("SIP/901-09819190", "") in new stack
        -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:3] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?skiprg") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,6)
        -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:6] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?skipblkvm") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,9)
        -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:9] GotoIf("SIP/901-09819190", "1?theend") in new stack
        -- Goto (macro-hangupcall,s,11)
        -- Executing [s@macro-hangupcall:11] Hangup("SIP/901-09819190", "") in new stack

]

regards
    Jesse

19. Bob

Bob

Can you provide a copy of your dahdi-channels.conf??

Regards

Bob

20. jmbaruk

this the copy of my dahdi-channels.conf

dahdi-channels.conf
    Code:
    ; Autogenerated by /usr/sbin/dahdi_genconf on Fri Oct 30 13:41:37 2009 -- do not hand edit
    ; Dahdi Channels Configurations (chan_dahdi.conf)
    ;
    ; This is not intended to be a complete chan_dahdi.conf. Rather, it is intended
    ; to be #include-d by /etc/chan_dahdi.conf that will include the global settings
    ;

; Span 1: WCT1/0 "Digium Wildcard TE110P T1/E1 Card 0" (MASTER) HDB3/CCS/CRC4 RED
    group=0,11
    context=from-pstn
    switchtype = euroisdn
    signalling = pri_cpe
    channel => 1-15,17-31
    context = default
    group = 63