mysql / sqllite3 in elastix config files

Discussion in 'General' started by Kranti, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Kranti

Hi All,
    I am trying to understand usage of mysql and sqllite3 in elastix. In some of the config files (say www/html/configs/default.conf.php) there are entries for both mysql and sqllite3 databases.
    My question is, in which scenario elastix uses which db. How may I access those data in these database engines?

After logging as root, i logged-in to mysql db using specific password (available in elastix without tears). How to figure out different databases available and table under those databases? Any documentation available for this?

Any suggestions / guidance please.

Regards,
    -Kranti

2. saleh

Elastix use sqllite3 for the Web Interface Administration and you can find all databases files under the directory
    /var/www/db/

And use mysql for FreePBX, Asterisk CDR, SugarCRM, Vtiger, A2billing and RoundCube Webmail

3. Kranti

This sounds interesting. I was going through older versions of elastix and in some of the docs its mentioned that elastix was based on sqllite3 and later in future releases, they will start supporting mysql. Probably tht is the reason why they have both the DBs.
    Well, how can i see data in sqllite3? Is there any GUI/command line interface for that? For mysql, I installed phpmyadmin.

thanks in advance.

4. saleh

Command line:

Example:

# cd /var/www/db/
    # sqlite3 menu.db

and type .help for more help

OR googelen for the sqlite3 browser/editor/manager like phpmyadmin for mysql

5. danardf

yes .....
    In all case, mysql and sqlite3 are some database using SQL language. So....
    For exemple:
    If you use this command line :
    SELECT * FROM <table name>;
    on mysql or sqlite, you are the same result (displaying the <table name>). ;)

I don't know why Elastix don't use the same database !??. Maybe There is a good reason!

6. Kranti

i tried using some editor for sqllite3 and tried connecting to sqllite3 db available in elastix but was not able to do. Probably, I was doing something wrong. Will give my try again.

About elastix using different DBS, probably it is due to the load or maintainance. As web admin / layout configuration as less and are sort of master data, probably they are using sqllite3 whereas for A2billing or for CallCenter modules, as its transactional data, they are using mysql for robustness. Its my understanding. Anyone has other opinion?

7. rafael

The reason why Elastix uses sqllite is that is lighter than mysql and we would like Elastix to be as light as possible. Te reason we use mysql is that most of the applications that come with Elastix are devel with mysql: freepbx, sguarcrm, vtiger, etc....

Other reason is that all the data of sqllite is saved on a single file so portability and backups are really easy.

You want to try phpSQLiteAdmin to manage SQLLite databases in a similar way you do with phpmyadmin.

Saludos,

Rafael