Multiple Elastix Servers

izrunas

Ok, so I've seen lots of references to having multi-server Elastix environments in larger deployments, but I can't seem to find any articles that are on point for accomplishing this feat. I'm not talking about clustering or virtualiation here-- strictly talking about 3 or more Elastix server that jointly provide phone services to an enterprise.

I can't image that one would be forced to maintain separate configurations and just interconnect them via IAX2 trunks as described in Elastix Without Tears where they describe connecting remote offices to the central one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

rafael

What you would need to use here is Dundi.

Regards,

Rafael

walank

Very interesting...

In my next deployment I have to install 3 PBX - 1 in USA and 2 in Europe.
All offices have VPN (Cisco ASA) but it still doesn't solve single point of failure - PBX.
I want to be able to have a backup registration server set on every phone (Aastra 57i) so if local PBX goes down other PBX will take over.

Where can I find sample configurations, etc ?

Thanks,

dicko

Two scenarios, calls inbound and calls outbound.

For inbound, robust DNS/BGP routing, and SIP proxies that are mutually aware of each other. The Phone Numbers called from outside must resolve to something that will answer them and send to an effective endpoint in the absence of the prime destination, they are rarely under our control apart from rudimentary fail-over provisioning from the VSP, so in your interest have them go to a robust domain that is not dependent on an IP address, that might or might not be available.

For Outbound, redundant networks, properly configured routers that also understand BGP. Have your Asterisk boxes register with the Proxy services, these to be placed strategically depending on your topology. They will be able to call within the range of the currently available network, and can load share and all the good stuff that Asterisk can't, reroute with much greater nimbleness than Asterisk, and are just generally better designed to handle networks that break (they all do of course)

The underlying problem that DUNDI tries to overcome is that Asterisk is a B2BUA (back to back user agent) so it's self knowledge of the network is severely limited, yet until/if it develops to a wider audience DUNDI is also self limiting and needs third party compliance (not yet in most places). thus the need to register with a proxy that is more agnostic, some might argue that DUNDI is in fact such a proxy, others will disagree.

Other solutions E164 (not yet in most places), ENUM, (not yet in most places)

JM2CWAE

dicko

Siu

Here are for your reference.
I use IAX trunk link two servers between HongKong and China.
A PBX
Trunk Name: voip1
Peer Derails:
context=from-internal&from-trunk
host=B PBX domain(www.xxx.com) or IP
trunk=yes
type=friend
qualify=yes
requirecalltoken=no

B PBX
Trunk Name: voip2
Peer Derails:
context=from-internal&from-trunk
host=A PBX domain(www.xxx.com) or IP
trunk=yes
type=friend
qualify=yes
requirecalltoken=no
Then set your outbound route

mbit

Hi Izrunas

When you say large deployments what do you mean by this? Do you mean multiple locations of around 100 users each? Say you had 10 sites this would be 1000 users. In this case I would be leaning to put a box in each site so you would have 10 boxes with 100 users on each. To bring them all together you would use Dundi or IAX trunks.

The other type of large deployment is when you have 1000+ users on one site. When building a solution of this size you have to look at the weaknesses of Elastix. The biggest weakness of Elastix is that asterisk doesnt scale for 1000s of SIP extensions. You could build your own asterisk box with asterisk realtime and then you can have multiple SIP users over multiple machines and it can work quite well. If you want to stick with Elastix then you cant do this. FreePBX doesnt support asterisk realtime.

For this you need to bring in a SIP server that will handle 1000s of sip extensions. For this you can bring in OpenSER. OpenSER is a scalable SIP server which can integrate into asterisk. In this situation all your SIP extensions register to OpenSER and then OpenSER directs calls to asterisk. If you have say 1000 users you should be able to use one machine for this. OpenSER would take care of all the SIP extensions and when you want to use services like voicemail or calling the PSTN it passes it to asterisk. If you have 3000 users then you would start to need dedicated machines. If you were to stick to Elastix I would create a dedicated OpenSER and database machine then have Elastix as your gateways. All the extensions register to OpenSER and use asterisk for PSTN calls and other services. All the information kept in FreePBX database wouldnt be kept locally on the machine. It would grab all its configuration from the common database on your OpenSER box. Basically as you need more PSTN lines then you can add more Elastix machines as gateways. OpenSER would load balance between the gateways. Eventually you would want to build a master slave cluster on the OpenSER box so if it ever went down then another machine would take over the SIP server function.

Hope this helps.

alwayson

saleh

x0101222

Hi Siu,

How many concurrent connections do you have as average in one certain moment?

thanks

Siu

50 Sip connected in China, and 30 Sip connected in HongKong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colak