Multiple Elastix-1.0-beta9 Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by md3vxx, Mar 14, 2008.

1. md3vxx

We have been running a Trixbox 2.4 server for the last ~3 months and decided to move to Elastix due to it's notably better fax support and integrated IM functionality.

We have a Dell PowerEdge R200 and Digium TE122P E1 card. We use Linksys PAP2T adapters in our offices and Bria soft phone on our mobile PC's.

We started the installation today using the 0.9.2 stable release. We had no problems with the installation but post install realized that the included Zaptel and Libpri versions were not compatible with the TE122P as its a new card. We attempted to install kernel-devel via yum for the included -8 kernel but it did not appear available via yum. In addition, kernel-devel was not listed at http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/i386/RPMS. We needed kernel-devel to compile and install the latest 1.4 Zaptel and Libpri builds from Digium.

Unable to find the kernel-devel package we decided to install 1.0-beta9. The installation went cleanly and the included Zaptel version supports the 122P card natively. We were able to get the inbound/outbound trunks configured and a test extension setup.

During test we noticed that for every ~3rd or 4th call we tried to make from a handset connected to a Linksys PAP2 (we have 24 of these units) we would just got a 'busy' signal from the handset.

In debugging, asterisk -rvvvv didn't even show a call attempt, /var/log/asterisk/full didn't show a call attempt and the PAP2 just said 'Invalid' for the status of the last call.

The PAP2 units worked perfectly with Trixbox and did not have this problem. We are guessing its a bug or compatibility issue between Elastix and the PAP2's or something else.

Any thoughts/ideas/insights would be greatly appreciated, specifically for:

1. Where is kernel-devel for the include 0.9.2 kernel available from?

2. Is the Elastix/PAP2 issues a known problem?

Thanks in advance.

Christopher.

2. md3vxx

The same problem exists in the "stable?" 0.9.2 release.

Some calls are connected, some get a busy signal - it doesn't matter if they're internal or external calls.

I have tested with a soft phone - Counterpath Bria, and the problem doesn't exist.

I wonder if its a PAP2 plus Asterisk 1.4 issue?

Christopher.

3. ramoncio

4. md3vxx

Ramoncio,

Thanks. It turns out that this: http://www.basso.com.au/guide/kernel-de ... 5.i686.rpm is the kernel-devel pack for the Kernel that ships with Elastix. I'm not sure why the don't make it available in their rep.

We are 90% sure that issue is Linksys PAP2 + Elastix. The only difference in configuration between our old Trixbox and the Elastix server is Elastix is using Asterisk 1.4.

We are re-installing Trixbox with Asterisk 1.2 to confirm that is the issue.

Hopefully someone from Elastix or another forum member will have a suggestion regarding the PAP2 issue.

Christopher.

5. ramoncio

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it.
    I have been using at my house a PAP2T-EU (2xFXS) with Elastix 0.8.5 and did not have those problems.
    I installed it in another machine with Elastix 0.9.2 and it is working fine. And 0.8 was already asterisk 1.4 based.
    Maybe this is a Elastix 1.0.X issue or maybe something weird went on with your installation.

6. md3vxx

Ramoncio,

Are you sitting behind a firewall, if so - what kind?

Can you give me a brief outline of any specific configurations you make on the PAP2's for them to connect stabily?

Are you using qualify on the Elastix side?

Thanks for your input on this.

Christopher.

7. md3vxx

All,

We reinstalled Trixbox 2.2 last night and re-configured today using Asterisk 1.2.

The PAP2's are back to working normally.

We're at a "dead end" on knowing what the Elastix issues are.

Has anyone here dealt with Elastix paid support and do you know if they would be able to help with this?

We'd like to have Elastix implemented soon.

Christopher.

8. bulgarion

I'm not sure if this will help, but it actually solved some issues for me. I couldn't find the kernel-devel package either (damn online repos, the're always updated), but I managed to find it in the original CentOS 5 x86 DVD, downloaded in a mirror like this ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.centos.org/5.0/isos-dvd . Mount the image locally with the usual "mount -o loopback -t iso9660", and you'll find all of the rpms you need to satisfy dependancies. I installed VMware, samba and ntfs-3g this way! :p
    I know it's kinda disappointing download 4.7Gb... but it's always better than get packages one by one!

9. adminad

10. md3vxx

As explained, the issue isn't with Zaptel or drivers or the E1 card, its an issue with the Linksys PAP2T devices and Elastix.

We had the E1 card running no problems under both version of Elastix using Zaptel and Libpri source from Digium, the issue is that PAP2's and Asterisk 1.4 don't appear to like each other.

I've emailed Elastix support to ask for their paid assistance but had no response.

Christopher.

11. ramoncio

Have you tried reinstalling Elastix 1.0.9 beta?
    It is very strange, I used my pap2t until Elastix 0.9.2 without any problem.
    I don't have any unit available, so I can't help you with the real config, but I didn't have to do anything special.
    Try to upgrade them to the latest firmware available maybe this can help you.
    I had no firewall between the pap2t and Elastix, but I did use qualify=yes<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2008/03/16 06:00

12. md3vxx

We will re-install the 1.0.9 beta later this week on another server in our DMZ and re-test. For now, our production server is working with our old Trixbox config.

Did you configure anything "special" on your PAP2's for them to work with Elastix?

13. md3vxx

All,

We eventually found the issue. The problem was with the Xen kernel running on a Intel Xeon 2.13 Quad Core CPU. Once we switched to the standard SMP kernel, all of the call issues with the PAP disappeared.

We are now running 0.9.2 stable without problems.

m.

14. ramoncio

I'm glad to hear that!<br><br>Post edited by: ramoncio, at: 2008/03/22 09:05