multimodem card options for hylafax?

Discussion in 'General' started by tommycasanova, Jan 27, 2011.

1. tommycasanova

I wish to install a 8+ modem card in my elastix server. what brand/mnodels are certified with Elastix that are not outrageously priced?

I would like to connect 8 POTS lines to the modem. Also, I was thinking of a fractional PRI connected to a T1 Card. Will Elastix/Hylafax work better with a PRI for fax purposes. Also, the T1 card will allow me to use the PRI as a fail-over trunk in the event my Sip trunk and internet go offline.

thoughts? suggestions?

Currently, a small but important percentage of customers are complaining about not being able to send faxes over our sip trunk. I would like to make the fax solution bulletproof and less costly than migrating to a service like efax or GFI Faxmaker.

2. dicko

There is really no support for modems any longer in Asterisk so connecting a multimodem card through Elastix/Asterisk is pretty well out of the question. You can however use them with Hylafax directly. Check out the forums there, most of the old multi-modem players are documented there.

The direct modem connection will almost certainly work better than virtual iaxmodems once you have adjusted the modem card for the line you attach it to. Make sure you get one with linux drivers available though.

Your project is largely outside of Elastix/Asterkisk/VOIP directly but Avantfax will give you a nice GUI over hylafax and traditional modems.

Good Luck, dicko

3. tommycasanova

thanks for the response. I was considering using a Digium TDM410P in the elastix server and have inbound faxes come in over the pots lines through the card and have the IAX extensions answer. will this solution work?

thoughts/concerns/suggestions encouraged and appreciated!

Digium TDM410P Analog Base Telephony Card
    The Digium TDM410P is a half-length PCI 2.2-compliant modular gateway card for connecting analog telephone stations and analog POTS lines through a PC. It supports a combination of up to four station or trunk modules for a total of 4 lines.

4. dicko

TDM410P's works for me, but so does SIP over a decent carrier and a decent network, by decent I mean impeccable (some wireless ISP links are just not that beast ;) ) , I get 99% plus over SIP, much the same as using PSTN lines. (don't be tempted to go the clone route, you will be disappointed.)

Until T38 is largely end to end over the network however there can be no "bullet-proof" FOIP solution, it's just the nature of FAX'ing at this current time, lets be honest FAXing over PSTN is not bullet-proof either :)

If you use a TDM410P and spend the time to balance the 2-4 wire hybrids against the lines (other posts here on that) and take the time to fxotune them, then you could expect similar success rates. Use normal precautions to dimension all parts of the system to suit.

good luck

dicko

5. Lee Sharp

I have a t1 for voice and fax, and the fax is rock solid. And this means I have 23 lines of voice or fax however it is needed. Seeing as how you can get a Rhino for under $300, I think it will be the cheapest way as well.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CsQ8wIwAg#

6. fmvillares

you could also try the hard way and begin to test the real deal of t38 in asterisk for the first time in 1.8.x versions...works wonderful to me up to today!!!