Multi-Tenant Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by voopy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. voopy

Looking for an asterisk version which is very multi-tenant possible. I see that elastix is but am not clear on capabilities.

For example, other than the usual functions, my greatest need is;

Where each extension has it's own fax to email functions.

I see a limit of 10 virtual faxes but have not been able to determine if say 50 users could each have their own fax-to-email function. Can the virtual faxes be shared between every one of these users, where faxes appear to be to their own personal name?

Could someone elaborate on the fax capabilities of elastix and if you need any additional information, please ask.

Thank you.

2. mbit

10 virtual faxes? Where did you read this?

I have a machine with at least 20 different virtual faxes and it works fine.

3. voopy

I read it in the PDF book;

>As already stipulated, Elastix is using Hylafax. As such all
    >tools and applications that interface to Hylafax can be used
    >(you may even have 10 virtual fax machines). It is
    >recommended that dedicated Fax lines be used for incoming
    >and sending faxes although the same lines can be used for

It does not specifically say 10 only but I took it as saying this.
    So, if this is not the case, even if I have 50, or 100 users on the system, I can give them all their own fax server then?

4. mbit

You will be able to give them their own fax machine so they can receive faxes as emails.

5. voopy

Good to hear that, I wasn't sure.

Using custom context, does this also mean I could have 1 fax server per user but also say I had 5 users who are in the same dept, could they share one as well? Seems like this is the case.

6. VoIPDoug

So define multi Tenant, Tennat A has ext. range 200-299, Tenant B has extension range 300-399, can Tenant C have extension 200-299 again? That is actually what a True multi-tenant system should have. Can elastix do this? If so, I'd be delighted to see how this can be accomplished.

7. dicko

No it can't currently be done with FreePBX, thirdlane has an Asterisk/Webmin based solution but it will cost you 3g.

8. voopy

I was thinking more along the lines of each extension having it's own fax server. Perhaps some extensions would be in a same group and with custom context installed.

9. bhallottawa

i wouldn't recommend thirdlane. We bought 4 licenses and deployed this multi-tenant software for our customer base.

We had nothing but difficulties and then I found Elastix.

To be honest for the price of 1 Thirdlane license I can by 20 dl380 G3 servers on ebay and install Elastix on each giving customers their own private PBX with less stress and 100% better performance.

Additionally, we have configured one Elastix Server specifically for managing all our customers faxes with out a problem!

Just my 2 cents ;o)

10. voipgadget

Maintaining 20 cheap servers may be more expensive than buying them - that is the whole purpose of a multi tenant system :)

Choice is good - some will use Elastix and some will use Thirdlane. Good luck with whatever you choose!