Motherboard with 3 Network Cards, How to use?

Aiiar

I have motherboard with 3 LAN ports.

I connected 3 PCs with soft phone to eth0, eth1 and eth2

But after a lot of attempts I found that only one PC can connect to the Elastix server, and when do ping from the other 2 PCs, the result is "request time out".

As shown in the attached image, only PC1 can connect with the elastix server and I found that PC1 can connect with the server at web interfce using any of the three IPs

!!!?
Can I let the other two PCs to connect with the Elastix server?

Please Help & Thank U.

danardf

Hi and welcome to our Elastix Forum.
Your problem it's not an Elastix issue, but an Linux issue.

And why not take simply a switch ?
If you have 10 NIC devices, how you could do!? Put every PC on your serveur?
It's stupid. :unsure:

About your problem, try to set some routes to your config network.
Look at "route add" Linux cmd. ;)

dicko

If you want to connect multiple ethernet phy(sical) ports on the same network it is probably best done on layer 2 and not layer 3 routed as my friend danardf suggests.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... ing/bridge

It will save adding a switch, and you will only need one LAN ip on your Elastix Box.

Aiiar

Thanks for help.

About the bridge, I read about it and I think it will be usefull.

But I spent a lot of time today trying to install bridge-utils package to use brctl command but I didn't success in that.

I searched a lot of how to install this package but I didn't success in download or install it.

I hope someone can help me in that but take into accout that I'm beginner in linux.

:unsure:

Thanks

dicko

Aiiar :

Welcome to Elastix and also to Linux. It's as easy as:-

yum install bridge-utils

Aiiar

thank you :)

I tried the yum install before, but the result is that the linux is attempt to look for mirror to download and try to change mirror after error then nothing to download !!!

dicko

You don't post which repos are currently broken, but

yum info bridge-utils

will show it to be in the Centos base repository, if some repos are unavailable, then

yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=base install bridge-utils

should work, if it is indeed the Centos Mirrors broken, then first investigate your DNS server settings, if all else fails

Code:
rpm -Uhv http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/bridge-utils-1.1-2.i386.rpm

or

rpm -Uhv http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/bridge-utils-1.1-2.x86_64.rpm
should do it the old fashioned way choose your CPU architecture to suit.

Lee Sharp

Really this is the wrong way to learn this. Bridging and routing in linux is bad enough, and elastix makes it harder. (This from a guy who is a dev on a FOSS router) Is there some reason you can not use a switch? It will be easier, more stable, and when you have other issues, it will make troubleshooting possible.

That all said, the reason yum is failing, is your route table is probable messed up. What is the output of "route" from the command line or a shell?

dicko

Aiiar :

I am myself a minimalist and find something ugly in adding an unnecessary and wasteful switch and power brick and wiring to a machine with adequate physical ports.

Whilst I don't disagree with Lee as to layer three routing, I can suggest that for a semi-brave man, layer two bridges are, at least for your deployment, totally trivial.

http://www.netexpertise.eu/en/linux/bri ... cript.html

will give you a good clue, do the first bit for each of ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 and add the ifup script to suit.

A clue, all network control scripts in Redhat/Centos (on which Elastix is built) are generally in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, with the caveat that strictly they should be hard-linked to /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ and /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/, but nowadays that is almost certainly unnecessary, so add the links later for rigor when you understand linking.

As I said welcome to linux, now get your feet wet, this is a relatively easy starting project.

p.s.

There is generally no "right way" in linux, ask any two "experts" :) , just use one that works.

Aiiar

Thanks to all

Thanks dicko
I tried the rpm code and it worked properly.

Thanks

Aiiar

dicko said:
Aiiar :

I am myself a minimalist and find something ugly in adding an unnecessary and wasteful switch and power brick and wiring to a machine with adequate physical ports.

Whilst I don't disagree with Lee as to layer three routing, I can suggest that for a semi-brave man, layer two bridges are, at least for your deployment, totally trivial.

http://www.netexpertise.eu/en/linux/bri ... cript.html

will give you a good clue, do the first bit for each of ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 and add the ifup script to suit.
Dear dicko,
Could you Plz explain more what is these commands at this last link use for?
Is this different than bridging with brctl?
Thanks

dicko

They are just there to define the bridge that you had previously build manually, the bridge will now start on boot without further effort.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarmenichetti