More than one phone per extension?

kiemosan

Hi,

I have setup my first Elastix box and so far have been very impressed with it.

In my test setup I have setup one extension and I have configured two softphones, one at my desk at work and one at home (behind my NAT firewall).

What I would like to happen is that when my extension / DID is called both phones ring at the same time. What actually happens is that the last phone to log in /register on Elastix receives the call and the other does not.

Also, when one of my softphones logs off from elastix the extension is shown as inactive in FOP. The other softphone still shows it is registered but elastix does not agree.

I know I could configure multiple extensions and use follow me rules but to keep my setup simpler I would like to only issue one extension per user.

Is this behaviour normal for Elastix? If so can I change my config to acheive what I want to do?

I am not sure if my expectations are realistic or my understanding of VOIP concepts but I would like to be able to do this as softphone will be needed for video conferencing as well as a hardware phone and some of my users will be working from home as well as the office.

Thanks in advance

John

eijob

Hi John,

This is a cool requirement of yours. I would like to know the solution as well when you get it working.

This will be a good solution for our company's executives.

On my first deployment of asterisk 1.2, there is no work around for this. The first phone to register will take over the extensions incoming calls.

Cheers!
Eijob

dicko

Very simply, you just "can't do that", use a ring group, if you try and register two endpoints against the same extension, the "last one to register wins" , think about it, to whom would Asterisk send the the nest call to?, perhaps the last person to say "I am here" ? you guys need to get your SIP/VOIP FM's out and read them :)

Look into SIP hints, SLA's and BLF's if your hardware supports them. Asterisk is a PBX not a key system.

dicko

eijob

Just to make sure, is it the last one to register?

I thought it was the 1st one to register gets the incoming calls.

you are right I have to review my stuff again. ;)

dicko

Yes I am ABSOLUTELY sure, asterisk will respond to the very last extension that successfully provides legitimate registration credentials, and then proceed to send calls to that accepted authority, when your other screwed up extensions register, it will so honor their requests. Don't you think that's totally amazing? it just does what you legitimately tell it to, it really can;t figure out how kiemosan mis-configured the extensions, go figure.

kiemosan

Thanks dicko & eijob.

I've RTFM :) actually, I was just wondering what the possibilities were as Elastix seemed to allow me to register more than one handset per extension.

How do people normally handle the linking of a softphone and hardphone for video conferencing purposes then as most people here will want to use Video from the PC and audio from the hardphone.

Cheers

John

dicko

Asterisk (not Elastix) will so allow those registrations, they are ephemeral in nature, and super-ceded by the next legitimate registration, use RingGroups instead. Currently you can do two way video by pass-thru, but video conferencing will need a whole slew of other software, none in Elastix or Asterisk, (just think about how that is supposed to work ! )

kiemosan

I meant two way video, not conferencing, still getting used to the little differences in the VOIP community.

What do you mean by pass-thu, I'm struggling to get my head around voice on one extension and video initiated on another?

dicko

Asterisk is a "Back to Back User Agent" it will support SIP (Sessions Initiation Protocol) and within that protocol supports and can transcode many standard audio codecs )I.e. do phone stuff, very successfully) , on top of that it can "pass-through" other "payloads" that it recognizes, e.g. T38 (fax) g729 with out a license (a licensed audio codec from digium) and some simple video and graphic payloads, for example

jpeg
png
h261
h263
h263p
h264

the first two are pictures the rest video, it knows nothing about them above their announcement, and won't change one to another (transcode) or anything else , that is up to your phone or application to negotiate the underlying SIP protocol and process the "payload" between each end.

NickViz

Actually I just implemented the same config:
2 extensions:
hw phone 2010
sw phone 2011
call group 201 that contains 2010 and 2011.
I added CID Num Alias for both extension as 201 and it perfectly looks like a 201 extension with 2 phones. The only one place where I see the 4digits is in my softphone registration info. The call ID is always 201.

Seems to be a solution.

kiemosan

Thanks Nick, will give that a try!

Ted

I got this to work without creating the ring group. I was able to configure a soft phone and hard phone to ring together without the ring group. Check out the following link:

http://fonality.com/trixbox/forums/trix ... istrations

Basically, you create 2 extensions and then point one back to the other. I got it to work by setting up two extensions (one hard and one for soft) in freebbx. On the hard phone, add dial=SIP/hard@SIP/soft.

When you setup the soft extension in freepbx, change the mailbox=hard@default

Then in sip_custom_post.conf add the following:

[soft] (-)
callerid=device <soft>

[soft] (+)
callerid=device <hard>

You can also look at deviceanduser setup in freepbx. There is not much documentation on this and it my break some things like FOP.

trymes

Nick,

What you have done is exactly what Dicko was suggesting. You need to configure multiple extensions and have them set up as part of a ring group. There is simply no way to have multiple devices share a single extension number, nor should there be!

As for audio on a SIP hardphone and video on a PC, you would do the same, I presume, with the PC softphone receiving the video and the audio muted, and the hardphone also included in the conversation as a separate extension and ignoring the video. This is above my pay scale, though.

Tom

mostafa33

there is no way to register using a single extension in different locations and the incoming calls ring all of the registered devices?

Bob

Just to confirm that is not possible to register two devices on the same extension this is a SIP limitation (and a natural one as well). As their registration times will differ, they will generally alternate between which one gets the registration, and naturally the call.

What all of these suggestions before have made is basically treating it like a ring group and adding the extensions into the ring group (e.g. putting 201 and 202 into a ring group called 301) or making other modifications...

The feature that you are all after is Followme, which can be set for each extension (which saves designing a ringgroup that uses a totally different extension number)

e.g. you have a phone ext 201 and you also have a 202 extension which could be in the office or a remote phone at home.

Extension 201 is setup, and you had a followme to that extension of 202. You set the time to 0 and both extensions ring at the same time.

The person only rings 201, he knows nothing of 202.

We use this at a large number of sites..

Regards

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dineshr