Mobile phone as GSM trunk

Discussion in 'General' started by adopilot, Oct 2, 2009.

1. adopilot

First at all
    Thank all of Elastix team on great work,

I am newbie and it is past around a mount since my firs elastix box running well.

What I try to accomplish is
    To add one GSM trunk on my Elasix box, Just simple trunk with no more than two parallel lines,
    no needs for extra features or for high stability request.
    Since I have no experience whit VOIP hardware I trying to make test and do not know
    which hardware dedicated GSM gateway for small amount of money will fit my needs.
    (Yours suggestion for choice of equpmenet provider always are welcome)

So I start wondering can I connect any type of mobile selfphone to my elasix box
    and declare them as trunk.
    Did any of you guys did it using mobile phone as GSM Voice gateways.

Thanx in advance.
    Best Regars
    Admir
    from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Hercegovina

2. jessie

Hi adopilot,

Things that you could do are the follows:

1. You may look on the google and check on the GSM terminal or gateways.

2. If you have Analog FXO card like Digium or alike, you just need a GSM terminal. I used to have Nokia32, Teccom and Tellular GSM Terminal.

3. If you don't have FXO card on your server, you consider to get GSM Gateways - IP based GSM terminal. I recommend Teles.iGate or Vierling. Those two were very good as I used them too before.

There are so many GSM modem that you could look on too and they are so cheap.

Good luck,

Jessie

3. adopilot

@jessie
    Thanx on answer
    I did a google and found http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+GSM+Gateways
    But there is over hundred devices

@others
    Ore always one GSM-SIM card using only one channel
    Or there is devices which can with one GSM SIM card make two parallel channels for voice

4. Bob

Bob

adopilot,

One of the cheapest ways to get a GSM gateway up and running is to use chan_mobile.so with a Bluetooth adaptor connected to the USB port of your Elastix system. You will require a couple of mobiles that are bluetooth enabled. Only issue is the setup time, setup frustration and a possibility it will fail (due to a few reasons).

Next cheapest, but with a far greater confidence in getting it working, is a Sip to Bluetooth Unit such as the GP-710 or GP-712 (the GP-712 is a two channel unit). Again this will require a couple of mobiles with Bluetooth enabled, but these units are less than $US200 and configs for these units mean that from arrival to setup, done in 20 mins.

The benefit with the above two options is that you can use whatever mobiles work in your area. You don't have to panic wondering if the GSM device will work with your carrier.

Just to answer your other question, no these units rely on the capabilities of the mobile that you connect. So unless your mobile can do it now, I doubt you will be able to get two simultaneous calls on one GSM Card and I would say that it would be the same for any other GSM Gateway device...

Regards
    Bob

5. sandi

Hi,

I am newbie with Elastix too.

I have played with the Elastix VMWare virtual server and Cinterion TC35i GSM/GPRS module (former Siemens - http://www.cinterion.com/tc35it.html). The module works fine on windows and virtual server (I can access the module with hyperterminal and minicom).

I have to say that I am missing some pieces in this puzzle. I do not fully understand where in Elastic to do the needed configuration that Elastix can use the GSM modem.

I have five TC35 modules and my great plan was to connect all of them with Elastix. I was hoping I can test drive this with the virtual server and once it works ( never ? ;) ) then to build the configuration to physical server. Again, I assumed (and still do) that Elastix can use several serial port modems.

I have read a lot of material but I have not still found the right answer. Maybe the answer to my question is very, very simple but I can not find it.

I would be very glad if anyone could point me to the right direction.

Thanks / sandi

6. Patrick_elx

There's a lot of GSM module out there, but my question is do you achieve to have a voice communication through hyper terminal?

You can control your modem with the serial line, but you still need an analog input/output for the audio... And I don't think that these modules will let you feed a compressed audio stream directly on the serial link. If they did it would just be a matter of writing the proper channel module for asterisk to have a native support.

7. sandi

Hi Patrick_elx,

Thanks for your reply.

I mentioned Hyper Terminal and minicom just to point out that the GSM module works fine in host (windows) and guest (virtual server / linux). Naturally I was just able to set the pin and connect the call to my mobile but not to have voice communication.

As I wrote, my original idea was to setup Elastix and TC35 on one computer on my network and use the line(s) with the softphone from the other computers. I hoped I could simulate and test this with the virtual server.

Still, I am getting the picture and if I read you right, you propose something like this http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Siemens+M20.

I am still helpless with the question how to make Elastix see the TC35 and use it.

Regards, Sandi

8. Patrick_elx

Yes you will still have to feed the audio to your modem.

You need not only a modem driver (AT commands to control the com) but also a voice driver (to the sound card or other analog device).

It is technically possible as there are drivers for all these kind of application, but I'm not sure that there is one specifically made for your application.

I have myself a few GSM modules that I'll be happy to use, but I haven't found a ready made solution yet.

Your best bet will be to go with a commercial SIP bluetooth gateway or a SIP gsm gateway.

9. mauroesteves

Hi Bob

Do U have such thing working? I'm interested in giving my Elastix server the oportunity to work with vodafone.
    Can U give me 1 or 2 tips?

tkx
    Mauro

10. alwayson

11. Patrick_elx

For a lot of reason that could be interesting:
    You can have unlimited free in network cell to cell subscription that are far cheaper than voip providers...
    You can also have internet or PSTN failure, but still need to send emergency call (think alarm process).

12. alwayson

13. dr.x

hi all ,
    could u guide me by a brief steps about adding and installing gsm terminal in elastix ??

i bought a gsm terminal and i want to connect it to elastix .

i have 2 free fxo fxs ports in my card

i just need steps of elastix config to add it

wish to help as fast as possible

regards

14. Amphibian

Sir Bob,

In privious post you stated

"One of the cheapest ways to get a GSM gateway up and running is to use chan_mobile.so with a Bluetooth adaptor connected to the USB port of your Elastix system. You will require a couple of mobiles that are bluetooth enabled. Only issue is the setup time, setup frustration and a possibility it will fail (due to a few reasons)."

Can you advise where this "chan_mobile.so" is located? Have you by chance done a wiki or some form of installation guide to do this?

I'm usin Ver 2.2.0.23 and would like to try setting this up as I have several blooteeth adapters sitting on the shelf that I got for my home automation system that I'm not using so I figured I would try to use them for gsm stuff.

Thanks Bob,

amphibian

15. Amphibian

Sir Bob,

In privious post you stated

"One of the cheapest ways to get a GSM gateway up and running is to use chan_mobile.so with a Bluetooth adaptor connected to the USB port of your Elastix system. You will require a couple of mobiles that are bluetooth enabled. Only issue is the setup time, setup frustration and a possibility it will fail (due to a few reasons)."

Can you advise where this "chan_mobile.so" is located? Have you by chance done a wiki or some form of installation guide to do this?

I'm usin Ver 2.2.0.23 and would like to try setting this up as I have several blooteeth adapters sitting on the shelf that I got for my home automation system that I'm not using so I figured I would try to use them for gsm stuff.

Thanks Bob,

amphibian

16. Buzz

is this method will be a replacement for chan dongle and usb-modeswitch with Huawei 3g method ??