Minimizing writes and RAM footprint for mini-PBX

Discussion in 'General' started by christ0ph, Oct 3, 2009.

1. christ0ph

Please excuse me if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find the answers to these specific questions scanning the forums and site.

I'm installing onto a tiny, fanless thin client that currently only has 256MB of RAM and uses a Transcend solid state disk module as its only disk. It will never have more than three concurrent calls, and probably no more than five or six extensions. The disk is supposed to last ~1,000,000 writes.. It has video but once its configured it will probably spend most of its life in a closet.

From this forum and various others Ive read to minimize writes every way possible, use noatime, minimize logging. Is anything else essential? I could use a USB drive as a separate easily backed up partition for voicemails and logs.. (or back it up via FTP.)

I'm not going to use the email or IM functionality practically at all and I don't need billing at all.

I should probably just increase the RAM but I'm curious if I can expect a stable system with 256MB just for now, given the low number of calls.

Thank you!

2. dicko

IMHO opinion, it will work fine with no tuning needed.
    I use similar devices which can happily handle 10-20 users.