Migrating from Trixbox to Elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by lfletche, Jul 24, 2010.

1. lfletche

Hey Guys,

We have been using Trixbox in my company for a number of years but the time has come we feel to move away from that project and so Elastix is looking pretty cool. :)

I am currently doing some testing using the latest 2.0.0 RC4 version, and I am looking into how hard it will be to migrate our extensions across from Trixbox. I am not too concerned about the bulk of the FreePBX settings as they can all be manually reproduced, but we have 100+ extensions setup on one of our systems all with custom settings that would be very slow to reproduce.

Is there any way to migrate the extensions across easily?

I've had a look through this forum and there are a few posts that touched on this from well over a year ago that suggested it wasn't easily possible. Is there anything that has changed recently that can help with this task?

Thanks heaps for your help!

Cheers,
    Luke.

2. powerpbx

I have not done this but I would think you can just backup the MySQL database on Trixbox and restore or import it on Elastix. If you install WebMin on both there is a GUI which makes it fairly intuitive. All the extension info is in the MySQL database as far as I know.

I would set up a test Elastix box to try it out first. Exporting/Backing it up on Trixbox production server end will not have any consequences.

I have done this from one FreePBX system to another and I know that works but they were using the same version of FreePBX. Trixbox went and branched off their stuff and I am not sure what Elastix is doing on their end so hard to say if it will work until you try.

3. rafael

If your Trixbox uses FreePBX, then you can use a back moduel fro freepbx to Export to the Elastix box. And use the same module to import the extensions. You may use a virtual machine for testing.

I believe that in Elastix Without Tears there is a chapter that explains how to bakcup the FreePBX way, I think that could be the best way to migrate.

REgards.

Rafael

4. lfletche

Hey Guys,

I did think about the FreePBX backup and restore module - but that never works properly under Trixbox (*sigh*) plus I also wanted to be a little more controlled about what settings get copied across.

I ended up using phpMyAdmin to backup the "devices", "findmefollow", "sip", and "users" tables under Trixbox and then re-imported them into the Elaxtix server. This made all the settings appear correctly (minus voicemail settings) so then all I had to do was go through each extension and click submit. Recreated the VM settings for the extensions that had it setup and then applied and all seems to work well.

Having to do a click through each extension was a small price to pay for not having to go through and make sure all the extensions had their various unique settings correctly recreated.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm off to play a little more with this. :)

Cheers,
    Luke.

5. dicko

I suggest you blow out the trickybox-ness, just reinstall FreePX at the level your were at, you can get that at the sourceforge site

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amportal/files/

download the appropriate one, run the install and say bye-bye to all their lime green sneaky crap.

Do a backup, store it off site, copy it to /var/lib/asterisk/backups/blah (which you will either have it if you did a backup of the new system to blah (you should probably do that first on the new system) or just make it and go commando style) in the new system, restore it from FreePBX and voila! (welcome to the much more functional orange crap ;) ) you might need to go the unembedded FreePBX module admin update path to get it "up to date again" YMMV

dicko

(the FreePBX will restore the complete state of the machine to the old state , including authorities, You might need to change the login mysql and and FreePBX to what you used to use briefly )

6. fintech