Migrating from pure Asterisk to Elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by nachogomez, Sep 12, 2008.

1. nachogomez

Hi list,

I'm new to Elastix but I have several years installing/customizing Asterisk (just plain * without any GUI admin utility) for my clients needs.

I've been evaluating some Asterisk stacks, such as Asterisk/FreePBX (self compiled/installed), Trixbox, AsteriskNOW and recently Elastix, but I have some trouble in order to replicate the setup I've have on my production servers.

The main issue I have right now is to assign call permissions to certain extensions, and by that I mean, giving access to call i.e. mobile phones or long distance call to just a group of users/extensions.

In my Asterisk setup I just create context with some dial rules (a pattern matching like "_904[12][2468]XXXXXXX" for mobile phone calls) and then I include it on the appropriate context.

I'm a linux console guy so I'm not used to the scheme that FreePBX implement, but I'm willing to learn new stuff :cheer:

Anyone have suggestions on this matters??? or anyone knows how to replicate my configs in Elastix even if it implies a start from scratch???

Thanks in advance for any post...

Raul

2. chocho

You can use custom-context module for freePBX.
    It is a unsupported, but works very good.

3. rafael

You can create the contexts as you use to do with asterisk, but add them to: /etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf that way freepbx would not override it. What we normally do is create several groups with different user levels.

Then you can use the context name and add the user to that Context on the extension dialog on freepbx. That way your client that does not like a shell as much us you can change the context of an extension in freepbx.

Regards,

Rafael

4. telecomtechnician

Hi Raul

Tell me something, are you really open to learn new stuff or you realize that a pure asterisk installation has its limitations?

If you are going to get involved with elastix, welcome. But you have to change the approach about it, because there are certain things that you can not change on the config files and then pretend that will work on the web interface.

98% of all the configuration of elastix is done by web gui. So that means you have to learn how the web gui works.

To put outbound restrictions on certain extensions you have to create a context per restriction. The context should have very specific rules on what it should let dial out and what should not let dial out. Then you have to put each extension inside the proper context.

Take a look at ben sharif´s book: elastix with out tears. It has very important information.

P.D. I don´t want to scare you in any way about getting into elastix, maybe you are an expert and even now more than me about a pure asterisk installation and configuration, that´s fine, but when it comes to elastix or any other ippbx with web interface you have to take your time and learn how everything goes FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE WEB INTERFASE, not the config files.

Once again, welcome to elastix and good luck

David Medina

5. nachogomez

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your comments... I'll answer it in order:

chocho: Thanks I've already downloaded and installed this module in Trixbox, but I could not find it very useful, I know I need to do some more research about it but I was looking for something standard, I mean, the way it is supposed to be done, which leads me to the other responses...

Rafael: I was doing something similar as you're procedure describe, I think this is the best option in order to migrate existing installation to FreePBX, but as I've said, I was looking for a solution that can be managed (almost) 100% from GUI.

telecomtechnician: That's what I looking for, I want to make my new installations and configurations from GUI as much as possible, and only touch the Asterisk config files when no other solutions can be done. I really love doing custom setting from console, but it is keeping me too busy and I can't give support to my client efficiently this way, so YES, I'm willing to learn from scratch if it's needed. I'll look at the book you mention and I'll search for documentation on the way FreePBX works.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback, if anyone has another comment its really appreciated, I'll be in touch...

Raul