migrating from an avaya to elastix

Discussion in 'General' started by galaxy, Jun 22, 2010.

1. galaxy

I'm migrating an Avaya PBX to Elastix. I've been digging for days, but haven't found any documents helping to describe how to set this up so that its a seamless migration.

First, let me say I have things running fine with one POTS line so far and the latest stable Elastix distro. I'm using a TDM400 and will eventually have 4 trunks coming in (migrated from the Avaya). I can make/receive calls (and faxes) on this line without a problem now.

We now have a bunch of Polycom IP650's and IP600's. Each of these phones have 6 lines.

I'm not exactly sure what a Polycom phone "line" actually is. Does that map to an "extension"? So each Polycom line is a registered extension in Asterisk?

I'm also looking to emulate the old system with the "Shared Line Appearance", but cannot find any detailed instructions on how to set that up in Elastix. What we would like is for each station to have its line 1 mapped to trunk 1, line 2 mapped to trunk 2, line 3 mapped to trunk 3, and line 4 mapped to trunk 4 (yes, the old KSU way). In that way, if station 1 is on line 1, station 2 should be able to also join in on line 1 if desired just by pressing the line 1 button.

There are actually 3 businesses at this location. So there are 3 business lines and one fax line. The lines are as follows:

trunk 1 - incoming business 1, default outgoing for station 1, 3, 4, 5 unless busy
    trunk 2 - incoming business 2, default outgoing for station 2, unless busy
    trunk 3 - incoming business 3, must press line button for outgoing call
    trunk 4 - incoming/outgoing fax, must press line button for outgoing call

Another goal is for each person to have a laptop with a softphone on it such that calls from some/all of the 4 lines will also ring on their softphone, assuming the softphone also supports 4 lines. In the same manner, a laptop user can place a call on any of the specific lines they choose.

So I've made some headway, but I just can't find anything on setting this up in Elastix. Is this something that I have to manually set up with the asterisk configuration files?

2. sabarish

hi. it is possible to configure elastix according to your requirement. If possible just sketch out your requirement (i.e) draw a diagram so it will be easy to understand for you.

And this is my first post in this forum and i have some experience configuring ELASTIX. not a pro.

3. galaxy

So assuming

Since each phone or station can handle 6 lines (or registrations), should each of these lines be configured as a separate extension in elastix? Or should the lines be configured with just one registration and span multiple lines?

If there should be a registration per line on the polycom phone, should multiple phones register for the same or separate extension?

And as for the softphones for each person's laptop, should that be a separate extension, or should it be the same as that same person's extension on their physical phone (station)?