mass import of users+ how many users on 1 box?

Discussion in 'General' started by samrusso, Nov 14, 2009.

1. samrusso

Hi there,
    I'm introducing VOIP to the school I work at. Elastix is the perfect solution.We are a government school with 800students. I was wondering if there is a way of importing a large number of users e.g 800? (maybe via some import process. I have access to the mysql database if this helps)

Also, most of the work the elastix box (V1.6) will handle will be internal voip calls.
    Just curious: If we have say 400 computers on campus, how many simultaneous calls can 1 box handle before we need to setup a second box (servers nic = 1Gb )

BTW if these questions have already been discussed on previous threads I apologise in advance as I did try to search for them but could not find satisfactory answers to my questions.

thanks
    Sam

2. Amphibian

Don't feel bad, I've searched for key words or issues and haven't found a lot pertaining to "key words" entered. Seems to return pretty much everything when I do it.

Answer: Processor, memory,and nic's are factors as is the maximum bandwidth you have to work with within the school. If you obtain "Elastix without tears" on this web site (under documentation) there is a section that covers how to measure your bandwidth according to the type of supply line you have. We use fiber within one complex (approx 300 users, running a 2 gig quad core, 1 meg mem server)and have found that when approx 200 are making internal & external calls it get a little rough, but when all are internal only it's fine.

You can research asterisk.com forums and prob find more info on this subject.

Hope this helps.

3. Amphibian

Also, forgot to mention, that EWT (Elastix Without Tears)will also show you how to enter large amount of extensions at one time saving you a lot of work.

I have asterisk and asterisknow and had trixbox(before I finally trashed it) running at several locations. Found Elastix a couple months ago and installed it on test box in hopes to replace all the other versions and have found that it's gui, additional modules and entering large amounts of extensions only part of why it's worth the time and trouble to transfer all other boxes to Elastix.

4. samrusso

Thank You.
    The section in elastix_without_tears titled "5.2.3 Extensions Batch" worked perfectly!

5. ramoncio

Hi samrusso,
    400 simultaneus calls is no big deal if you don't need much transcoding, any decent server should be all right. But for such a big install you should consider deploying a HA cluster with a backup server, just in case the main server goes down. Also you should care about your network quality, if you can't deploy a separate network for VoIP, use VLANs with QoS.
    Also, there are some services as crm, openfire, etc., that might take a lot of the server's power if you use them intensively, so in that case you might consider installing them in a separate server.