Major fax problems

Discussion in 'General' started by kspare, Jul 10, 2009.

  1. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    When running elastix 1.3 with a sangoma a200 with hardware echo, I have no problems receiving faxes.

    If I upgrade 1.3 to 1.5.2 I don't seem to have any problems either.

    However if I stall right from 1.5.2 I have major problems with incoming faxes to hylafax.

    I've back revved my customers to 1.3 due to this fact, I'm not 100% sure whats causing this but faxing is really broken. in 1.5.2

    Is anyone else having this problem?
     
  2. dicko

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4,099
    Likes Received:
    0
  3. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thats a matter of configuration, voice calls work without a hitch, the problem is that when hylafax answers the call, it has problems speaking to the other fax machine.
     
  4. dicko

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4,099
    Likes Received:
    0
    All things being equal otherwise between 1.3 and 1.5, (iaxmodem version, codec (711), jitterbuffer) then what errors/disconnect reasons are showing in the /var/spool/hylafax/log/* files?
     
  5. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thats what I have to figure out yet. Right now i'm scrambling to downgrade 2 customers so things work properly again.
     
  6. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    I downgraded my customer. Thanks Elastix for having a great backup/restore tool!

    Here's what i've found.


    Code:
                            1.3                  1.5.2
    Asterisk                1.4.22.0-5           1.4.25.1-4
    Zaptel                  1.4.11-6
    Dahdi                                        2.1.0.4-20
    Hylafax                 4.3.3-6rhel5         4.3.3-7rhel5     
    Iaxmodem                0.1.14-1             1.2.0-1.1
    SpanDSP                 0.0.4-2              0.0.4-3
       
    The Major difference that I can see is either Zaptel/Dahdi or Iaxmodem.

    I'm going to keep doing some testing to find out what broke.
     
  7. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    yum clean all
    yum update
    reboot
    yum reinstall dahdi* asterisk* wan* hylafax* iaxmodem* spandsp*
    wancfg_dahdi
    reboot

    Now everything works....
     
  8. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just a quick update to this.

    I went through and reinstalled each module while testing 5 faxes to the box each time.

    I could not pinpoint any improvement in faxing capabilities until I stopped asterisk, stopped wanrouter, stopped dahdi, and reinstalled all the modules, did a wancfg_dahdi, and rebooted.

    faxes started to work perfectly after I did the whole reinstall. doesn't make alot of sense but it works!
     
  9. kspare

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well.

    I figured out the problem.

    In the latest sangoma drivers there is an option for hardware fax detection.

    After looking into this more we found that what this fuction does is route faxes into the system fax, but we were routing faxes to hylafax, so causing problems there.

    I'm not sure why, but it also causes a problem with outgoing faxes too.

    As soon as we re-ran wancfg_dahdi and left fax hardware detection off everything flowed properly.

    It's always something small! lol
     

Share This Page