mail2fax gateway

Discussion in 'General' started by bulgarion, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bulgarion

Hi,
    googling around I found out that hylafax can be configured as a "mail2fax" gateway, but there's NO documentation on how to do this job. PLEASE don't link me the offical hylafax FAQ page, it just doesn't work (like the one from postfix).
    The basic "incoming fax" settings are ok, so I assume my hylafax is working fine, still I have no clue on how configure postfix (or other MTA). Anyone can tell me something about this? Just a little clue, I'll do the rest (no fun, otherwise! ;) )
    Thanks!

Marco

2. Bob

Bob

Try here for starters
    http://www.hylafax.org/content/Main_Page :laugh:

No seriously, the pointers are

You need to use a Desktop Client
    http://www.hylafax.org/content/Desktop_Client_Software

Many of these will act as a print driver, allowing you to print anything on the PC to this driver. There is also one for outlook to Fax....

You need to add a fax user to the server using a command called addfaxuser, this is important as you will be using this user as your username and login for all of these desktop clients.

That is about it. We have it running on several sites with no issues...We use the free version of Winprint Hylafax, but one of the clients is going to the paid version (terminal services users).

Now the email is another matter, if you are not running an internal mail server, it is the postfix.cf that you need edit. Making the changes needed and looking to see how the changes have made a difference by looking at the /var/log/maillog?? (can't remember the mail log off hand).

I am writing something up for Ben's Elastix without tears guide this weekend, for the three most common setups providing time is available. But you need to look at the relayhost, masquerade etc...

Sorry I can't go into more detail, as I am upto my armpits in the proverbial at the moment....

Regards

Bob

3. bulgarion

Hi Bob,
    first of all, thanks for you reply. The fact is that I don't want to use at all a Desktop Client, I'm just trying to setup a "mail2fax" solution that works - it's a "stressless" solution for my customers, since they receive AND send faxes from the same e-mail interface, and it shall solve some troubles that they had before (like sending 2 or more files from different sources like DOC, XLS and PDF in one fax).
    Avantfax *should* provide this service, as you can see in their "Outbound Faxes" schema here, but they just assume you configurated correctly Postfix or whatever! :blink:
    Hylafax tells me "yeah, we can do that!" and postfix says "of course it's possible", but it seems that nobody wrote a single line of documentation about this (see the completely outdated postfix docs.

And I'm literally freaking out trying to get this thing working! :silly: