MagicJack as FXS?

Discussion in 'General' started by Patrick_elx, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Patrick_elx

Hi,
    I'm not talking here about cracking the MagicJack credentials to use the service as a SIP trunk for Asterisk but the other end:

Can I use the MagicJack USB hardware as an FXS extension in my Pbx?

2. dicko

No, but you might be able to use it as an FXO trunk.

(it, of course, would need to plugged into a functioning windows computer maybe even an apple by now, but definitely not your linux box, and you would need zap hardware to suite)

3. Patrick_elx

Again I am not talking about the magicjack provider side (google will return plenty of ways to use any SIP softphone, hardphone, gateway or asterisk with magicjack Voip service).

It seems that some people achieved to use the magicjack hardware to use an analog phone with other windows software.

I'm just wondering what to do with all these adapters with expired subscription that people are selling on ebay for nothing. There's all the hardware for an FXS just need to find a way to properly talk to the chip inside (http://www.tjnet.com/)

4. dicko

I'm sure you could reverse engineer the firmware, write a usb driver for it, then a zaptel driver, debug it and ultimately deploy it.

Personally to me it seems a lot of trouble, If I needed to go low budget I'd choose a cheap dual port grandstream ata on ebay for 40 bucks or less.