Loud Buzzing on FXS port of Sangoma (4FXO, 1FXS)

Discussion in 'General' started by Suthern, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Suthern

Is this normal?

I recently bought a "Elastix ELX-025 Sangoma 4 FXO, 1 FXS EC" from Elastix Depot, set up the SIP extensions, trunking..etc. Now I'm attempting to setup the POTS interface for backup purposes.

Whenever I plug the FXS line into our POTS line, the POTS line emits a loud buzzing on a telephone on that line. (The telephone on this line is temporary)

Is it normal for the FXS port to emit a loud buzzing? Obviously I've disconnected that line from the PBX for the time being, but would love to know if it's normal. :)

Thanks!

2. tjthorson

Well, lets be sure you are discussing the type of port you have - or the type of signalling. You have 4 FXO ports - those are the red cards - with red lit ports? And the FXS is a green port? What kind of Sangoma card is this?

The FXS (green) should NOT be hooked up to POTS line... The FXS port emulates a phone switch - so it would go directly to a device, such as an analog phone or FAX machine.

The red (FXO) ports should go to POTS lines... and should not have any noise or buzzing on them.... Hook a regular analog telephone to the green FXS port - do you have dial tone?

3. Suthern

Ah, ok, I misread a diagram about what port does what.

I'm not exactly sure which Sangoma card they have in the device, but I'm sure I'll run across the details as I dig into setting it up.

I'll most likely be using several FXO ports for analog trunks, and leave Asterisk to e-mail the incoming faxes.

Thanks for your help, and you can be sure I'll be back with more questions later.
    -Suthern