Looking for relatively bulletproof fax setup

Discussion in 'General' started by gbonebrake, Nov 25, 2009.

1. gbonebrake

I have deployed 4 Elastix boxes at this point, using Broadvox as a SIP Trunk provider. I have had excellent luck with voice, and up until this last server, pretty good luck with fax. Broadvox indicates they support T.38 and I have been using Linksys SPA2102 devices which also support T.38, so I was under the impression I was using T.38. I have since discovered that Asterisk in Elastix is not configured by default to support T.38, I have read many articles regarding the needed settings in Asterisk and tweaks to the SPA2102 to support faxing. I can now get faxes between two of my ATA's to send using T.38 across a WAN connection flawlessly, but I have intermittent issues when faxing to and from the PSTN.

At this point I am pulling my hair out and ready to give up on Fax over VOIP. I understand that the technology is still not quite there, but I had been having good luck with both faxes going into an out of Hylafax via IAXmodem, and with ATA devices so I assumed this install would be similar. I guess I have two questions at this point. Can anyone think of a reason why a 64bit install of Elastix 1.5.2-2.3 would behave differently than a 32bit install of 1.3-2? And second, beyond a SIP trunk for PSTN access and ATA's to connect fax machines, what would be a better solution for a customer looking to support 4 - 5 fax machines with distinct DID's with Elastix? I'm nearly to the point where I think POTS lines would be my best option. If anyone has experience with Fax over VOIP with Broadvox or another vendor I'm interested in hearing your experiences.

Thanks -

Greg

2. jchallenor

we have the exact setup with the same issue, have you resolved it yet?