Local SIP extensions registration issue

Discussion in 'General' started by wadetech, Jun 7, 2009.

1. wadetech

HI, I was wondering if anyone has an answer to this problem I am having. my local SIP entensions fail to register when the internet is down, or if the SIP trunks fail to register. If I disable external SIP trunks the problems go away. this is a problem because if the internet connection or the SIP gateway goes offline, the PSTN trunk failover is pointless as the local SIP extensions arent registered, and the system cannot be used.

thanks in advance,

regards Jason

2. dicko

Ah! you stumbled on one of asterisk's great embarressments

The problem seems rooted in a brain clog asterisk has when it (or more specifically, the name server(s) it relies on) can't resolve a SIP provider's IP address, whether one is needed or not, In your case probably because said name server is unavailable when the internet is "down".
    It is an ongoing and apparently endemic problem that no-one seems to have a definitive answer for. Many suggestions here and elsewhere, but as yet . . . .

For completeness, please start here for our (Elastix' ) local discussion

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option ... rt=0#14654

My pragmatic solution is to install dnsmasq (a local, thus always available, low overhead cacheing name server, a la our esteemed bob), plus a local "dummy" SIP trunk which will inevitably fail to provide a route to anywhere but itself, but will also relieve asterisk's ADD natured anxiety, and thus act as the "braces (suspenders) for the belt" if and when the aforementioned cache expires.

Bob, again the serpent raises it's ugly head, any words of wisdom?