Little Problems That Adds Up

Discussion in 'General' started by elastixguy3, Feb 6, 2009.

1. elastixguy3

Hi guys,

Ever since I started using Asterisk as the company PBX I have endless little problems that I cant seem to get rid off. I'll list some and hopefully some of you know how to deal with them:

1) When internet fails and then comes back, Asterisk won't automatically register to SIP providers. So voip simply stops working until someone manually tells Asterisk to reconnect or simply reboot the PBX altogether.

2) Our IVR has all sorts of problems, first of which is... We tell the caller to hold on the line or type in the extension number if he knows it. When someone types the extension number, Asterisk will never understand it the first time and always complain "Invalid Extension", then caller type it in again and Asterisk magically understands it.

I was so excited when I first found out about the whole telephony technology a few years ago - voip, ip pabx etc. But it turn out a very frustating experience with so many headaches and few things working the first time you try it. Am I the only one feeling this way?

Still have to solve to above problems, so you have a suggestion or need more information please let me know

2. dicko

Elastixguy3:

This is an Elastix forum, there are more authoritative places for asterisk per se., please don't get me wrong, but if you haven't read here or in other places, there are endemic problems with asterisk, that a lot of very clever people are trying to sort out as to the absence of the network and sip connections. You can search this forum or even use google to understand further.

If someone dials an extension that is not resolvable, that is exactly the message he will hear, if you have not setup your trunks to accept the signaling/dtmf/timing that you are receiving , it won't work reliably, also documented here and in other places.

Please read all the postings here and all the other places that asterisk is discussed as to your problems. When you get comfortable with what you are trying to do, believe me it WILL work.

Nobody said it would be easy, but honestly, what do expect for free, if you don't put "due diligence" into it, you will only get what you read, (you did read the manuals right?)

No, you are not the first person to feel this way, but you need to wean yourself off spoon feeding in the VOIP world.

Frustration, in my experience, is self induced, knowledge (largely, it is all there as to your particular problems) will resolve this angst.

Sorry if I sound like a bear but your comments are so prevalent , you get back from this delightful technology, only what you put care to invest into it.

p.s.

please use all the resources on this site, and all the others, BEFORE you bitch and whine.

(just my 2cents worth)

3. elastixguy3

Well most of your assumptions are wrong dicko

First I am not that new to this stuff, just my account is new because I forgot the old forum password. I've been around for more than a year now.

And yes of course I try researching before posting here, because in fact the only thing more common than my frustration is answers like these saying go use the search engine / manual / etc.

I've solved thousands little problems like the above, but just like anything on this world my energies are limited.

I guess nowadays with so many assholes on these forums, only google is your friend and will happily accept your inquiries.

4. donhwyo

Ask a specific question and you will at least get a specific answer. We cant solve world hunger in a few sentences but I could give you a link to donate to if you asked for that kind of help. Good questions get good answers at least most of the time. Following advise and telling what you have already done saves a lot of guessing on other peoples part. Dicko is an old crumugen but does know what he is talking about and is quite helpful in most cases. This one too I think. I guess that makes me an old crumugen too.

Don

5. dicko

Elastixguy3:

I'm sorry I underestimated you. To correct you, I only made one assumption, that was that you hadn't read these fora. However, I really worry that you might include ME in the "assholes" you refer to, so here are couple of spoonfuls I gleaned from here:
    Code:
    1  To reset your password:-

http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option=com_registration&task=lostPassword
    (I found this on the home page it was coincidentally under a link that helpfully said "Lost Password?")

2 Two discussion about sip and network absence:-
    "Zap ports not working without internet"
    http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=15964&catid=25
    (I found this in the newbies corner, the thread was started eight days ago)

and

"Elastix dies when there is no internet connection"
    http://www.elastix.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=14654&catid=3
    (I found this in this very forum, last posted to six days ago)

Both of these threads will perhaps give you some insight.

Your second point did not have enough information about your deployment to filter the results concerning DTMF detection problems effectively.
    Code:
    (Thank you Don, you forgot to include "grumpy" when decribing me!)

6. ramoncio

The second problem might be related to dtmfmode. Try to set it to rfc2833 or outband. Inband only works with alaw and ulaw.

7. wiseoldowl

Dicko, just a quick comment... you are giving good advice and it's something that more people should take heed of. At the same time, I've been messing with this stuff for probably close to three years now (and have even written some of the how-tos on the FreePBX site) and yet there are times when I don't know how to do something (witness the recent VPN discussion, where I'm sure my ignorance of the subject shows). And although I usually do try to use Google (and even specific site searches) to find answers, I find that often there are two problems:

1) The first is that I don't know which keywords to use to bring up the pages that would have the infomation I need (if such pages even exist). I take my best shot at Google and it returns all sorts of pages unrelated to what I'm looking for (eve when using their advanced search options). For example, one problem when researching Asterisk is that the word obviously has meanings outside of VoIP/telephony, so you have to craft your searches carefully.

2) Then there is the opposite problem - you nail the search terms, only to find that all the relevant results are posting from people asking the same questions you're asking (and nobody's giving good answers). Pretty soon you are ten pages deep in Google and wonder how many more of the 1,279,324 result you will have to view to actually find an answer, if one exists.

So when people post to a forum like this, it is often the case that they have tried using Google and got nowhere. And I know that personally, there is not much that pisses me off more than to post a question, only to have some "helpful" person tell me to f---in' Google it. Believe me, if Google were THAT easy, nobody would have any need for forums such as this one.

So when I read a post from a user my tendency (not a hard and fast rule, but one I usually follow) is to assume that they have at least tried to find an answer and were unsuccessful. If I don't feel like answering their question, or even if I think they haven't put enough effort into finding the answer themselves, I'll generally just not post anything rather than post something guaranteed to piss them off. Now, if they have done something totally clueless (like trying to transfer configuration files from a barebones Asterisk installation to Elastix/FreePBX), I'm not above asking what on earth made them think they can do that, and I'm not above giving a mini-lecture in that sort of situation. But new users are a different matter; often they just need a push in the right direction, such as a link to the FreePBX How-Tos or a relevant link on the Voip-Info.org site.

Just saying, sometimes a little bit of honey works better than vinegar, as the saying goes... and I'm definitely not saying I'm perfect, there are times I get grumpy too. Maybe we should have a "Grumpy old Elastix users" forum. :)