Latency/stutter with softphones under VMWare Svr

Discussion in 'General' started by sbn, Mar 8, 2009.

1. sbn

sbn

I had previously set up Elastix 1.3 under VMWare 2.0, and tested using two softphones on the host machine. Everything sounded fine. After getting fed up with VMware Server 2.0, I uninstalled it and installed ver. 1.08. I then preceded to install a fresh Elastix 1.3.

Now when I load X-Lite and make any call, say for example to the voicemail system, there is a huge latency in the calls, as if it is playing under a machine that has heavy CPU usage. Except everything is fine on both the host and Elastix VM. This is not the first time I have used VMware Server to test out Elastix, and never noticed this problem.

To me it doesn't make sense this should work just fine on a fresh install under one VM, and not the other. Especially since I have used VMWare server to set up Elastix since since version 1.0 was released, but never had this problem. Now I have installed Elastix twice, and the same problem exists. Could it just be the softphones need to be re-installed?

2. dicko

Be aware that a VMware machine is dependent on the machine it rides on, further you are using a standard kernel for elastix that is not "nice" with realtime stuff under vm 1.? or 2.0 or anything

IMHO opinion, and if you ever use VMware you need to use a kernel tuned to what you are trying to do

start here:-
    Code:
    http://dev.centos.org/~tru/kernel-vm/5/RPMS/i386/?C=N;O=A

get an appropriate kernel and you never know . . .

3. sbn

sbn

Thanks for the info, I just installed the vm kernal and it sounds much better, well enough to test with. VMWare Server 2.0 had absolutely no issues, Elastix performed wonderfully, I just hated the whole web interface of VMWare. Got it working now, thanks.

4. dicko

make sure debug and snapshots are off