Laptop as fax server

josejade

Hi everybody:

I'm noob with elastix, but I have been searching in forum and I haven't found anything about this issue.
I would like to use a laptop with integrated modem fax as fax server.
I've set an IAX2 extension up, then I've created a virtual fax with the extension, secret number, etc... of the IAX2 extension, but I can't neither receive nor sendind faxes.
I've tried with an external modem too in COM1, but, how can set up what modem I want to use or to know if the internal modem have been detected?

Thanks in advance

ramoncio

Hi josejade, wellcome to the Elastix forums!

If you plan to deploy a fax server using your internal modem, you don't need Elastix, nor asterisk, you just need your preferred linux distro, hylafax and some reading.
If your modem is properly detected it should be in /dev/ttyS0 and you can configure it for hylafax with the command faxaddmodem.
If you also plan to use it as a PBX, then you need Asterisk/Elastix, but the modem will not work as fxs/fxo, it will work just for hylafax. And you will only need to configure virtual modems (iaxmodems) if you plan to receive faxes using your asterisk, and not the real modem. Or you could use both, but iaxmodem has worse performance than a real modem.

josejade

Thanks a lot Ramoncio.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marouen